• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mods for XP?? handling?? power??

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I can't resist the prices being offered right now so I am knocking around the idea of trading in my '06 Summit X for an XP Everest 154".

I am hesitating a little because I rode an XP earlier this year and it seemed to take a little more effort to lay it over or pull a doughnut. :confused:
I have heard from guys that say after the learning curve it hands down the best handling sled they have ridden.
Others have said that they hated it. I know one guy who sold his sled at a huge loss with 250 miles because he could not figure it out.

Let's hear your opinions.

Also I can't leave anything stock so I'm just wondering what mods are best:face-icon-small-ton, in this order.
suspension (shocks, stiffer springs...)
handling (ski's, big wheel kits, risers...)
Clutching (Dynamo Joe kits??...)
motor (heads, exhaust, big bores...)

Thanks in advance.

I'm buying the everest instead of the X because I want to upgrade the schocks so no sense paying for the TA shocks.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
LOL did i read that right? He sold his sled with 250 miles on it because he couldnt get onto it!?!?! Haha well he really worked at gettin onto it didnt he.

Best mods are to put a can on it, get a clutch kit and learn to ride it. JMO But learn what it can do before you start changing much. Its really hard to see a relevant gain when you dont no how well one will go until you ride it for awhile.

Jester

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
So happy with my XP

My learning curve was a little different because I went from the REV chassis to the XP. However, I rode an M8 earlier this year. I liked the power and feel, but I don't like sitting behind that big front end. Riding my XP is a lot like riding my 450F. All it takes is a few rides to get the feel of the sled and you'll never go back.

I don't know anything about anything, but here are my suggested mods:

Suspension - especially on an everest
SLP - High Flow Intake (good for deep powder)
SLP - Single pipe and y pipe
Power Dome billet heads
V-force 3 Reed Valves
Some kind of can - I did HPS, buddies have SLP

Those are the mods i've done on my sled (except suspension). I didn't do any clutch mods, but had my dealer make sure it was all working (especially after I my bushings went to pot). I am thrilled with the sled. Now just saving up to get the engine ported.:p

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Go to an inner wheel idler wheel kit, makes a world of difference. I have had two XPs and leaning it over was NEVER a problem, I really don't know what those other riders are talking about. I can carve that thing easily.

2009031109.jpg

M
Sep 21, 2008
Best mods are to put a can on it, get a clutch kit and learn to ride it. JMO But learn what it can do before you start changing much. Its really hard to see a relevant gain when you dont no how well one will go until you ride it for awhile.[/QUOTE]

X2 The best first mod is a clutch kit hands down! and get rid of the 20lbs of foam under the hood that like to hold water.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Oh yeah. Vent kits, new shocks, remove all foam, HPS can. I went a step further and installed an SLP head (8000'+) single pipe and y-pipe. SLP can is on the shelf. I installed a set of V-Force reeds and I am in the process of re-gearing to a 19t top gear and re-clutching it to match my 08 clutching. My 08 ripped hard and didn't burn a single belt, so I have to do some changes. I am going to install some carbon fiber RSI backcountry bars with hooks and heaters. Better Boards are sitting on the work bench. Trim the tail flap, the long one looks a tad gay. I installed a set of scratchers and pulled all idlers. I don't ride in low snow conditions or trails.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Mods:
Rode pretty much stock last year. 08 154 xp summit
Except: HPS can, removed foam/ plastic, some venting, alinged clutches.
This year: DJ clutch kit, Tom's Evol air shocks,and a Ski doo 600RS intake.
The Evo Rs in front and Tom's rear set-up, all I can say is it is a whole diffrent sled I love to ride it even more.

Good luck and have fun.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Do whats down in my signature and you'll be a happy dude............:beer; Well, except for the $$$$ part of it.........but you know what? I'm HAPPY:beer;

S
Jan 1, 2008
Lewiston Idaho
I am on my 3rd XP 800 - 2 x's and 1 Everest and have had a few different mods. I also ride with a group of guys who also have xp's and I have had a chance to see what works in our sleds. Here is my opinion on what you could do to YOUR sled to get your best bang for your buck. For more power go with an SLP (or other brand) hi comp head. You don't seem to get alot out of the Single Pipe, or Y - pipe over the stock from what I have seen. I like the weight savings and tone of the hps CAN. Much lighter and sounds Bad AZZ compared to the SLP can. This is important because if it sounds like its going fast it will FEEL like it it Haulin' AZZ. Anyway, For deep powder riding I think the SLP air intake is a big help, and for vents you can find great deals here on this site just look around. If you are an agressive rider I would look to get the X model windshield for your Everest. Much better for rolling your sled over. Just find somone who bought an x for his wife and trade them winshields and consoles, then you won't have the holes in your console. For track speed I would suggest the Roosterbuilt kit. Comes with a 20T top gear and you will loose some top end speed, but it does hold consistent RPM's and makes a little more track speed than stock, I like the way it works. As far as having trouble laying it over install the swaybar disconnect. It is so easy to remove when you get off the trail into the powder, and just as quick and easy to put it back on if you want to haul ballz down the trail. It is only 4 inches long and I just keep it in my pocket, (Just like TFA does with his 4 inch TOOL). With this off the XP will lean over as easy as any sled out there. I rode in McCall with a bunch of locals last week with a large group mainly all on new M sleds. They were all commenting on how they thought my xp carved on a dime and layed over so effortlessly.

SLP Head
HPS can
SLP Air intake
Vents
X windshield
Roosterbuilt Clutch kit
sway bar disconnect

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
Lots of good info here. Anyone been switching out the stock track for the camo xtreme? Are you finding this to be a major imporvement over stock? I had the 156 on my 04 151 and loved it but I wasn't sure it would make that much difference going from the 154 to the 156.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Thanks for all the comments. I picked up my '09 Everest 154" today.:D

I think I'll swap the head and stock can out with SLP and HPS and add the sway bar disconnect. Definetely a 2 wheel inside kit.
I think I'll ride for a season and then swap the shocks as well.

I'll have to look into the Roosterbilt kit.

If you are an agressive rider I would look to get the X model windshield for your Everest. Much better for rolling your sled over.

Does the smaller widsheild really make a difference in handling? No doubt they look better.

Last edited:

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I put a bunch of money and time into my 09 146x and I honestly can say that the thing I enjoy the most out of all of it is a Boss seat. I didnt mind the stock seat but the Boss is a HUGE improvement!

K
Mar 19, 2009
1911 courious what price were you able to get the 146 for, thinking on possibly picking one up seeing there is a 1200-1500 rebate on them.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I also heard that there is a big performance gain in the thermostat/ housing upgrade.
Also there is a reflashed ECU available.
Have any of you guys done these? and did it really help performance?

I also heard that there is a big performance gain in the thermostat/ housing upgrade.
Also there is a reflashed ECU available.
Have any of you guys done these? and did it really help performance?

My friend did the engine tech thermostat housing on his - lets you run a 120 degree stat off an '03 HO, opposed to the 140 degree that's on the xp's now. He noticed a big difference in sustained power on long pulls and multiple consecutive laps at a hill, runs the cooling system before the engine heat fades so badly. I'll be doing one to mine soon too, makes total sense. Otherwise I don't think there are any real great bolt on power adders for the xp, you can do a head if you want to run 94 octane and maybe see improvements in power, maybe in the mid range maybe on the top end, it doesn't seem to be a guarantee. A vent kit, an additional air intake, a can for weight savings and cool sound - otherwise just a proper set up is all the xp needs to totally rip.

nate

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
I am also very interested in how to make this sled carve and roll over better. guys that say that xp's roll over better than m8's are high. I have yet to experence this. Dont get me wrong I love my xp for its ergos, look, and POWER (which the m never had), but I dont think it rolls over or carves better than a m sled, jmo. Every time i get off my sled and get on a m sled I fall off of it b/c it rolls over so easy compared to my xp. I have gone to rear two wheel kit, moved the bars around, and disconnected the sway bar, and its really not any easier.

Does using drop brackets for the skid help? I know doo went to a longer front shock in 2010, to "help" the sled roll over easier.

shocks? 15" track?

what WILL make this sled roll over better?

D
Dec 5, 2008
Lookout pass
track speed

I am on my 3rd XP 800 - 2 x's and 1 Everest and have had a few different mods. I also ride with a group of guys who also have xp's and I have had a chance to see what works in our sleds. Here is my opinion on what you could do to YOUR sled to get your best bang for your buck. For more power go with an SLP (or other brand) hi comp head. You don't seem to get alot out of the Single Pipe, or Y - pipe over the stock from what I have seen. I like the weight savings and tone of the hps CAN. Much lighter and sounds Bad AZZ compared to the SLP can. This is important because if it sounds like its going fast it will FEEL like it it Haulin' AZZ. Anyway, For deep powder riding I think the SLP air intake is a big help, and for vents you can find great deals here on this site just look around. If you are an agressive rider I would look to get the X model windshield for your Everest. Much better for rolling your sled over. Just find somone who bought an x for his wife and trade them winshields and consoles, then you won't have the holes in your console. For track speed I would suggest the Roosterbuilt kit. Comes with a 20T top gear and you will loose some top end speed, but it does hold consistent RPM's and makes a little more track speed than stock, I like the way it works. As far as having trouble laying it over install the swaybar disconnect. It is so easy to remove when you get off the trail into the powder, and just as quick and easy to put it back on if you want to haul ballz down the trail. It is only 4 inches long and I just keep it in my pocket, (Just like TFA does with his 4 inch TOOL). With this off the XP will lean over as easy as any sled out there. I rode in McCall with a bunch of locals last week with a large group mainly all on new M sleds. They were all commenting on how they thought my xp carved on a dime and layed over so effortlessly.

SLP Head
HPS can
SLP Air intake
Vents
X windshield
Roosterbuilt Clutch kit
sway bar disconnect

Could you please let me know what a roosterbuilt is.The track speed on my 163xp is hard to keep consistant.Changed helix and geared it down.It helped but was still not perfect.Had to go from 4 to 5 on my clickers.Thanks Doc

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have the Hill Climb Edition with the 4 wheel axel and the wide front end. I put the quick disconnect on the sway bar and have no problem sidhilling or carving the powder. My personal thought is the sway bar on the XP is WAY to stiff.

Premium Features