• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 860 Comparison

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
As far as B.S. horsepower gains, might want to look at those pump gas turbos!!

Was up in Thief River a week ago and some of the engineers told me they dynoed one of Brett Rasmussens PGT M8's and it only showed like 10 hp over the stock M8..

Now of course it holds its horsepower better at elevation, but still....

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
As far as B.S. horsepower gains, might want to look at those pump gas turbos!!

Was up in Thief River a week ago and some of the engineers told me they dynoed one of Brett Rasmussens PGT M8's and it only showed like 10 hp over the stock M8..

Now of course it holds its horsepower better at elevation, but still....

Considering the fact that you can only run about 1-2lbs boost at the elevation in Thief River on Pump Gas that would probably be about right, BUT as the elevation goes up the boost can go up but the N/A is still loosing a lot more power than the turbo is.

I ride the PG kit on a 700 RMK and I will guarantee you that it will SMOKE ANY NA 700 RMK (not big bore) by a lot more than 10hp at any elevation above 5K, below I'm not sure about without race gas.

As for the 860's They are all potent from everything I've read on them and I strongly considered the Carl's Cycle 840 kit over my turbo but in the end was more expensive than my PG turbo kit after you pay for the pipe and reeds and you can't just put race gas in it, turn a knob and have another 30 hp on tap.

That and no matter what anyone says there is something to be said for stock engine parts.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
how about a terra alps! at least he ports his!

umm...ALL SHR BB kits are ported...thank you very much...

I have customers commenting from the hills...I have seen my sleds vs a couple other builders and other brands BB/turbos...I'm comfortable with the results...BJ

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Cant believe you was near Utah and didnt look me up!! ;) If I would have known you was at the Doo ride, I would have made a better effort to make it last Saturday!! I guess I need to go prove that a sled can run on 5#'s of boost.

Honestly...the TM8's we ran against were all of 8-8.6 psi (we saw the boost play back)...if they had 7 psi it would have been all 860...if they were at 5 psi = game over..NOW thats from seeing 2 TM8's built by the same guy...and watching them run a dozen times...now common sense tells me if they lose 3-4 psi they lose hp...and since it took everything they had to get 1 sled length on my 860???-BJ

BTW- the day before a race gas TD8 high mark was matched by SHR/RKT 860's...

Premium Features