• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown O-ring

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I went riding with my dad today and while I was following him I noticed that there was more smoke than usual coming from the exaust. Well as it turns out the motor is leaking coolant internally. So what might be the cause? Bad o-ring, warped/cracked head? Judging by the steam coming out of the pto side pipe flange I'm almost certain it's that cylinder. How bad can it be for the motor to get coolant on the inner workings? I don't think we ran it for too long before noticing and when we diagnosed the cause of the leak we towed it back to the truck. I guess I'll just have to tear it down and see what exactly is going on. Also can anyone tell me if and where you might buy o-rings individually or do I need to buy a complete top end set. Thanks
'98 powder special 600 efi

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Drain the coolant and pull the head. You can buy the o-rings individually at your local Cat dealer. Sounds like the inner o-ring gave up the fight. I'd flush the crank case and cylinders with some gas and blow it out with compressed air. I had the same problem with my 02' ZR 440 Sno Pro. New o-rings and I was back in business.:beer;

you might want to check with your local bearing or industrial supply house. Just replaced all mine and was much cheaper than the dealer. Also I didn't really care for the factory o-rings, they weren't very thick and didn't seal all that good. If you can, take your jug down when you get new o-rings so they can measure the diameter and the thickness of the grooves. The ones I just got fit much better. Make sure they order VITON not EPDM, they handle the heat better.

Premium Features