• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP unknown oil problem with an 05 900 rmk

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
so we have our 900 at our dealer and its been there since may. NOBODY including polaris can figure out what the problem is.

On our last trip it started using way to much oil and was fouling plugs. it was using about an inch and a half of oil in the resevoir in 30 seconds time. At first we thought it was a hole in the lines, but it doesnt leak any oil or drop any oil when the motor is not running. It is just pumping way too much oil through the engine. So then we thought it was the oil pump. we replaced the oil pump and it does the same thing.

So then after a week or two talking to polaris tech team they told us that it could be the check valves of the motor. we checked the valves and found that one was letting oil through off of 1psi instead of 3 psi. We replaced the 4 check valves and it still uses way too much oil. After we put those on, now the sled will shut itself off if its fouling the plugs, but isnt using quite so much oil.

The dealer that we have has at least 5 people trying to figure this thing out and are spending days at a time trying to get it working. Theyve even thought about "accidentally" sticking the throttle wide open going towards a field cultivator to just put it too an end. We are at a loss of what it could be.

They have had the engine completely taken apart and is in brand new condition. The only other thing it could be would be an electrical issue right?

if anyone has any advices i would really appreciate it
thanks

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
over oil use.

Ok, first of all I need to ask you a question.............

Are you constantly filling the oil tank past the BIG hose up toward the top of the oil tank ????

If you are...........Stop doing that now and then ride the hell out of it and see if it straightens out.

if it doesn then the center crank seals are out of it.

I have seen this exact same thing on 2 2005 900's. It was the center seals on both.

Dan

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Ok, first of all I need to ask you a question.............

Are you constantly filling the oil tank past the BIG hose up toward the top of the oil tank ????

If you are...........Stop doing that now and then ride the hell out of it and see if it straightens out.

Dan

You have brought up something I've been wondering about. What is the purpose of the big hose, being gravity fed to the oil pump for?? I just replaced my oil pump o'ring (original was shredded and the replacement seems to big) for leaking and noticed that the oil just free falls out of this hose. I'm hoping this o'ring was my oil leak. What happens when the oil level in the resivoir goes below this hose?? Also had a frozen oil pump cable.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
The BIG Hose

You have brought up something I've been wondering about. What is the purpose of the big hose, being gravity fed to the oil pump for?? I just replaced my oil pump o'ring (original was shredded and the replacement seems to big) for leaking and noticed that the oil just free falls out of this hose. I'm hoping this o'ring was my oil leak. What happens when the oil level in the resivoir goes below this hose?? Also had a frozen oil pump cable.

Ok, great question.

The purpose of the big hose ( when you fill the oil tank up to or over the big hose ) it gravity feeds to a sealed cavity where the oil/water pump drive shaft is. There is NO WAY for oil to get to this location VIA the pumping action of the oil pump........So as stupid as Polaris is, this is how they have choosen to get oil to this area.......If you were to NEVER fill your oil tank past this hose and the cavity was never prefilled from the factory you would ruin the drive & driven gears.

** NOTE ** The BIG hose does NOT feed the oil pump, It supplies the oil cavity. Completely different areas.

So that being said..........if in fact your center crank seals are bad then this cavity will not stay full and it will leak a tremendous amount of oil into each cylinder VIA the center crank seals.

does this make sense ???????????

also, the lower oil pump bolt is screwd into a wet hole ( meaning its open to the oil cavity and can leak thru the threads.

Dan

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Makes sense about the crank seals leaking, all your oil going poooff!!

So what is suppose to lubricate the oil pump/waterpump shaft when the level goes below the big hose

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks for the education on this system. Your on air diagnosis of the above problem is probably correct!!! Unfortuately

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you ever get pull this hose from the tank.... remove sand off the sharp edges of the barbs on the brass tank fitting... it will make the process easier in the future.

The current fitting makes getting the hose off nearly impossible without putting a small slit in the hose.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
If you ever get pull this hose from the tank.... remove sand off the sharp edges of the barbs on the brass tank fitting... it will make the process easier in the future.

The current fitting makes getting the hose off nearly impossible without putting a small slit in the hose.

No chit! I still have scabs on my knuckles :D

Premium Features