• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

michigan U.P. snow depths + riding conditions

L
Is the riding in the Houghton area any good right now?

http://funoutfitters.com
klim,hjc,hmk,castle

In a word: YES. Here is a quote from local weather man John Dee:

~JOHN DEE

December 21-
“Snow, snow, snow. Actually I could type that word 21 times in a row and that would represent the number of days straight we have had snow up here. Granted some were days where we only measured a trace, but for three weeks straight, we have had snow sometime in that day. Perhaps just as impressive is that in the past 36 days, only three have not had snow fall in them. How's it piling up? Well, I will try and answer that question shortly with some pics, but in hard numbers we have had 25" of snow in the past 4 days, 41.5" of snow in the past 7 days and 54.5" of snow in the past 12 days. I can tell when a snow cycle has been particularly severe, when locals start to ask me how much more with a sort of glazed over look in their eyes. It looks like it could be one of those winters up here. I doubt that we will break the record, but are well on our way to break the 300" mark for the season.”

Get up there and ride!

M
Jan 20, 2008
Hey everyone...I went to Rockland the 17th throught the 21st and snow conditions were pretty good for this time of year. I didnt think it was as good as people said...i only seen about 18 inches off trail or so but did notice once up north of the Twin Lakes it did get a little better. I only made it as far north as Houghton so maybe that is what everyone is talkin about as far as the 3 foot and deep mark but as where i road pretty much ALL over south of Houghton it wasnt nearly as good as people made it out to be. TRAIL Riding was as perfect perfect perfect as can be....if your looking to trail ride you cant ask for any better at all. Best trails i ever been on i think. Im like the off trail boondocking more so but like it said not much snow yet to feel safe. (No base....feel every stick, stump, dirt mound around yet) All in all I thought it was well worth the 6 hour drive up there and sure felt good to get the ich out over the long summer.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
North of the bridge has been getting blasted with LES, this little 2 day warmup or so will really help get a base setup in the woods. Very fluffy zero-moisture snow out there now. There was some good system snow about 2 weekends ago with a little sleet and freezing rain that helped to firm things up for the trail a lot. Off-trail still needs a bit more of a firm base, but the snow is definitely there, just gotta know where to look :)

John:face-icon-small-hap

T
Jan 5, 2008
Rockford, MN
We were up two week ago, and the snow seemed to be the best between Twin Lakes, and Mass City. (That was two weeks ago). I will agree that there is no base. We did no trail riding so we had to be carfull. We did here from other groups that the trails were very good. We did ride as far North as Houghton and the snow seemed a little thin. Might be better now? Also if riding off trail be carfull of water ways. lots of snow and NO ice. I would like to say "Thanks AGAIN to the two guys that helped me get my sled out of the creek.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
we were up last weekend and stayed in twin lakes, did all off trail riding, south sat. was ok be carefull for dirt clumps rocks and creeks, there is one just south of twin lakes you can jump if ur going south, but dont attempt it if ur going north...:( cracked the sled up pretty good. we got alot of snow sat. night dun morn. Sunday we rode north and it was great, lots of snow for early season riding but still not enough for some of the bigger climbs, you can feel everything grabbing at ur paddles. Hopefully will make it up for new years!

K
Dec 2, 2007
keweenaw snow conditions

We had a good thaw today. This will create a good base, We (the locals) will be riding by next weekend.

D
Dec 19, 2008
We had a good thaw friday and saturday with about 6" of fresh overnight sat. night, should be good next weekend if we get a little more powder over the week, base seems good nowwith about 36" on the ground in the central up, Im located on Highway 41 right between escanaba and marquette, marquette has pretty decent snow and it seems to get better towards negaunee and ishpeming, we are on to an awesome start this year, lots of snow before christmas which is not real common.

P

pat93fox

Feb 21, 2008
Any new snow?

We were planning a trip up from Minnesota for New Years day and through the weekend, but I saw there was some rain last week. I would rather hold off on the 7 hour drive if the snow is bad. We have 4 long tracks and like to get off trail. Any information would be appreciated. Where should we go, or should we hold off a couple weeks? Thanks.

We were planning a trip up from Minnesota for New Years day and through the weekend, but I saw there was some rain last week. I would rather hold off on the 7 hour drive if the snow is bad. We have 4 long tracks and like to get off trail. Any information would be appreciated. Where should we go, or should we hold off a couple weeks? Thanks.

The base is still good. We don't have a lot of fresh pow, but there is definitely riding to be had. We have had some pretty high winds with some blowing snow, which usually means a lot of the back country tracks will be filled in. We are getting some snow but it isn't any more than an inch or two or three per day.

P

pat93fox

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks for the info. We decided to hold off and let the powder build. We got 14" here today in Little Falls, MN. Let it snow!

L
Sep 15, 2008
How much snow is around the Twin Lakes area???? I hear they got hit last night? Is that true?

just got back from twin lakes area with tundramonkey, zrmodman and weekendracer28. arrived on thursday and left today (sunday, jan. 4). thursday was terrible off trail. everything was set up and no new powder to talk about. it started snowing thursday and didnt stop until friday night. They recieved around 26" of real fluffy low moisture stuff. it was great riding but we had a tough time with visiblity and the snow pelting us after traveling up the hoods (no complaining here). our hoods remained packed and stacked with snow and off trail riding was great. saturday we didnt recieve any snow but still plenty of untouched powder from the day before. we had a great time and will be back up on the 30th. see pics...

michigan jan 1-4 024.jpg michigan jan 1-4 002.jpg michigan jan 1-4 004.jpg michigan jan 1-4 025.jpg michigan jan 1-4 009.jpg michigan jan 1-4 010.jpg michigan jan 1-4 019.jpg

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Gawdang it!! I knew I should have driven up Saturday and rode for the day!!!

Awesome pics.

Later, Skylar.

Here's some from Keweenaw Co.

Safe to say there is enough snow...

DSC01741.jpg

Untouched, very nice....

DSC01749.jpg

Soft landings.........

DSC01751.jpg

Premium Features