• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 king cat 900 162

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The King needs a 2.5" extreme on it. The 900 makes plenty of power, just got to put that power to the ground!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
A good rider. Most people ask the question the other way around, what do they have to do with their sled to keep up with a King!

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
A 2.5" Extreme wouldnt hurt, And the rider needs to have bigger Kahonnas than the other guys:beer; As far as the sled goes nothing more required!!!!!!!!!:D

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
king cat

no one is really answering your question, if it is totally stock, they run very well strong motor, lots of low end grunt, I rode one for a couple of years, It had everything done to it, bored carbs, porting, clutch work, twin jaws, slp air box, 40 shot of NOS, boss seat, suspension upgrades, is itr carbed or efi, what year, they were notorious for having a bog in deep snow on the right side

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
If it has the Attack 20 track, I recommend changing it out to a Challenger Extreme.

Change the recoil rope to Spectra 5.5 climbing rope. The stock rope is notorious for breaking.

Keep the speedo bearing greased. If your speedo stops working, head for the truck...your bearing could be going bad and you can end up with a broken drive shaft.

Many folks experience the right-side bog. Hopefully you don't. There are numerous threads discussing the solutions.

Upgrade to a high-rise seat.

I didn't like the stock skis. Ya might consider upgrading them too.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I agree with most of the above.............

Except, The Attack-20 is very good in HC out west. I guess its a love hate thing, you either love it or hate it! I put stock M series skis on mine, SLP can, drop brackets, highrise seat, C-R racing forward steering post, did some clutch tuning and lowered the gearing. Also I think an anti-stab kit is needed. Other than that, I really like the sled. I will probably buy an M-1000, or what ever is the sh!t in a few years or so. When the funds are available. -00's

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
a King Cat can holds its own. With the stock track... it does just fine. Pipe/can, reeds and pull the cord! if you are not on a budget... go with a D&D 1010 :D.. Ive ridden with one many, many times and have ridden one a few times..very impressive sled! Kinda tough to ride in the tight trees and its the older suspension..but, other than that... its a great sled. IMHO.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You are only an hour away from me. Come up some day and I can show you some of the better things to do with the King. It is a great sled when set up properly. PM me.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I ride the UP too!!!!!

I even ride the 1000 mod. King there. The King has saved me a lot of cash on new sleds alll these years. Simply put; beat my King and I'll buy a new sled. I do have a new '09 M-8 but It's not the King.
BUT.... 975cc ported Jaws twins Chall Extreme etc.. etc. New style recoil , the old one sucks. No right side bog if tuned to proper piston wash.

Owen

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
You are only an hour away from me. Come up some day and I can show you some of the better things to do with the King. It is a great sled when set up properly. PM me.

Care to elaborate for those of us who aren't 1 hour away from y'all? I'm a new KK owner too, looking for all of the best mods (within reason). No big bore or custom tunnel or skid etc. just the basics... so far have SLP pipe, can & cold intake. boss seat, V-force reeds, powder pro skis and just had my clutch done. what else should I be looking at doing and what is the "right side bog" how will I know if I have it? I read about the speedo bearing to be kept greased too... anything else?

thanks,
biGjOhn

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
SuaveGato sounds like you have a good start. I would only recommend putting a riser on your steering and possibly a steering forward Kit. You can also put a rear suspension drop bracket on it from holz. This puts all the track on the ground.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
SuaveGato sounds like you have a good start. I would only recommend putting a riser on your steering and possibly a steering forward Kit. You can also put a rear suspension drop bracket on it from holz. This puts all the track on the ground.

Hey thanks,
all that stuff was on it when I got it, so haven't really seen what it can do yet? I have heard about the drop brackets. so what's the diff. tween the Sled junky & the Holtz? any pros or cons with either one?
By steering riser, you mean like a handle bar riser block? If so, that's DEFINATLEY on the short list... I am 6'5" so will need to get that up quit a bit! Will also be adding a lefty throttle.

What is the steering forward kit?

I am also replacing the whole rear skid / suspension. long story, stabbed the track and ruined the rails, and some other crap, cheaper to replace whole thing with someone's good used "take off". However, I have been toying with the idea (under the influence of others) to put in a M series skid. anyone have any input on that? Suppossedly will just need some spacers up front, other than that, should bolt right in and be an improvement? would solve the need for drop brackets and rail stiffeners too (assuming i get a 07 or later M skid) Oh, and I'll also be adding the anti stab kit before I do it again, DOH!

thanks,
biGjOhn

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
The steering forward kit is made by Wildchild on here. puts the handlebars 2 in forward.
makes sled more of a rider forward vrs stock.

Risers are a must. I went with OLE riser cause it put the steering straight up instead of straight back plus they are cheep upgrade. around $40

I installed a m7 162 skid on my king cat. you just need 1/4 in washer on the front arm to install the skid. Only reason i put one on there is had sled run into back of my sled. you will still have to put the drop brackets on there. keeps the tunnel away from the track. sled junkies drop brackets work fine as well. one thing with the m skid is you will have less problems with stabbing the track and more usable suspension that is lighter.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
The steering forward kit is made by Wildchild on here. puts the handlebars 2 in forward.
makes sled more of a rider forward vrs stock.

Risers are a must. I went with OLE riser cause it put the steering straight up instead of straight back plus they are cheep upgrade. around $40

I installed a m7 162 skid on my king cat. you just need 1/4 in washer on the front arm to install the skid. Only reason i put one on there is had sled run into back of my sled. you will still have to put the drop brackets on there. keeps the tunnel away from the track. sled junkies drop brackets work fine as well. one thing with the m skid is you will have less problems with stabbing the track and more usable suspension that is lighter.

cool, thanks, that's what I've heard. I was told that if I got an 07 or later M skid, that I wouldn't need to drop brackets? Not true? Also, doe sthe M skid eliminate stabbing or should I get the anti stab kit still, just to be safe? That 3.0 pitch track has some huge windows, trust me, I know. I don't want to do that again! stabbed it last year on the first day I got it. tore the track up, the rear skid, pushed bars forward, went through winshield etc.. NOT FUN!
thanks.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
Anti stab kit would not hurt especially for peace of mind.....M skid has a different rail than the king on the front of the skid

Premium Features