• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Christmas Fund for Animal's Family

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
There are many Snowesters who never knew Dave. But, for those of us who did Larry (Bigrock), Kevco and I are trying to gather a little cash for his family for Christmas.

Animal was one of the biggest hearted, giving guys I've known. His legacy lives on in us, and his family. I have a goal of $1,000.00. We are almost a third of the way there, thanks to some generous peeps who donated at the Avalanche Center Fundraiser last Thursday. I will match $20.00 for every $20.00 donated, up to our goal amount. Please PM or call me if interested.... (801)-554-1279.

Thanks for your thoughtful consideration!

Kim

RIP Animal! :brokenheart:

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Kim - All of us working together can reach this goal easily. Every little bit helps. Let's do all that we can to support this great cause. Nothing that we can do will ever replace the father, husband and friend that Animal was, but we can make a positive difference for his family. What greater gift is there than the gift of giving from the heart:heart:.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
What does everyone think about a Christmas party? I'll plan it somewhere and we can invite the girls (Animal's wife and daughters). We'll give them the gift at that time?

I've already had a few replies. Not exactly sure how to collect the $? I could have checks sent to my office? Maybe paypal? or open an account in his name somewhere?

What are peoples thoughts?

N
Nov 26, 2007
Paypal would be great. A party to present the funds to the girls is also a great idea. I would recommend doing it early enough so they had time to get themselves gifts for Christmas.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
OK.....here are the methods of payment:

Address:

Kim W. Reid, P.T.
c/o Animal
1551 Renaissance Towne Drive, Suite 350
Bountiful, Utah 84010

PayPal:

kimwreid@comcast.net

Thank you everyone! I think this will make a great Christmas present for these deserving ladies! :)

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Kim I'm in and I'm going to rally up some money from some vendors when I get back on my feet.
What is your deadline?

I think it would be nice to share Dave's story. There are a lot of new people on here that didn't have the pleasure of knowing him. I'm one of them. But I have heard a ton of great things about Dave and such a sad sad story. Therefore I feel the need to show support for the family.
You know us tight snowmobile people are pretty good at banning together for a good cause. Hope I'm not asking too much.;)

Oh, and what ages are his kids?

Last edited:
B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
What does everyone think about a Christmas party? I'll plan it somewhere and we can invite the girls (Animal's wife and daughters). We'll give them the gift at that time?

I've already had a few replies. Not exactly sure how to collect the $? I could have checks sent to my office? Maybe paypal? or open an account in his name somewhere?

What are peoples thoughts?

Well come on already and plan it!! Its not like you worked today;)

BTW thanks for doing this. We really appreciate you kim. :D

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
Brandi DB (DBfoto remember him) had the stickers made. Ill call him 2 moro. Let ya know. Maybe we should do a new one?

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I remember seeing a trailer up in washington with a great big animal sticker on the back of it, was it your Brandy? bet it was ;)

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Actually that was the FBomb trailer. I'd like to get a big one as well. :)

I do remember Dustin, I have a # for him, not sure if it is current. If you guys are still in contact and don't mind findin' out what you can find out, great. If not, I'll see what I can find out! ;)

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
As requested, I'll share some of my thoughts about Animal (Dave)......It is sad that Snowest lost all of the posts relating to him. There was a lot of great things that occurred after that tragic day! People came together to support the family, the goodness of people on this forum was amazing, and I cemented friendships that will last throughout my lifetime.

Dave was one of the bonds that kept Snowest of a few years ago a lot of fun and full of laughs. Several great posts....one of my favorites was a late night thread entitled, "Does anyone get sick to death of digging out those RMKs" ;)....just to rib some of his buddies!

Dave started the first Animal ride in 2004 (I think?) Anyone and everyone was invited to his cabin just East of Fairview/Mt. Pleasant, Utah. I, unfortunately, missed the first event, but I've heard the stories and heard about lots of oranges being thrown around! LOL! The second annual ride was to be bigger and better. Dave spent weeks preparing, hauling things down to the cabin, and inviting anyone interested. Literally, "anyone" was invited! He didn't care who it was.....and if you showed up you were made to feel as if he had known you for years! One of his last posts talked about driving down, and riding into the cabin with his "bride" Carolyn. They are a great example of love and respect, and he taught me a lot through how he always spoke of her. Utah snow had piled high....I remember an amazing ride on New Year's Day riding into Tower Mountain from Wolf Creek. The snow was over the head deep and typical Utah January powder. The storms were associated with 100 mph ridgetop winds, therefore, some big cornices and loading occurred on North and East facing slopes. Many of us made it down to the cabin, Thursday, January 6, 2005. We had a great night ride! Corey (CCPowder) and I almost rode off a cornice because it was so dark. On our way back, Spencer (Newmtnsldr) grabbed a fist full of left hand throttle, rode over Shain's (product tester) tunnel, and slammed into an Aspen. This resulted in a broken ankle. The next day all of the Idaho peeps (Julio, Brandy, Scott, Julie, and Jeremy) showed up. We had a great ride! I have tons of great pics from that day, as my buddy Russ (a photographer) followed us all day. Lots of fun, poker and good times with friends that night. The next morning was cold, windy, and overcast. We debated hanging in the cabin, but decided to ride. We all made our way to the top of Choke Cherry ridge, above Dave's cabin. The wind was whipping hard and cold! I was behind Dave as he stopped and walked over to look into a canyon.....still not sure what he saw? But, the canyon was one he had likely ridden hundreds of times. He looked at me and gave me a thumbs up! He hopped on his sled and went off. His buddy Ryan (Flying Ryan) was behind him, me next. Ryan then dropped off....I thought. What had happened is the hill broke loose when Dave dropped and the cornice broke underneath Ryan. When I looked over Ryan was turned uphill, his sled turned facing uphill, straight up. His eyes were huge and I saw what had happened. The hill had slid to the ground! Chunks as large a Volkswagon Bugs were strewn all over. I grabbed my probe, shovel, and turning my beacon to search jumped off the cornice. Several others followed. It was steep enough that I initially started flipping. Then I laid on my back, sliding, looking side to side for any signs of Dave or his sled. This is where it started. 10 of us searched. I think at one time or another I saw everyone praying on their own! Panic, but relative calm during the search was evident. We found Dave and his sled off the slope in the trees. The time to recovery was 18 minutes. CPR was started immediately. About 3 hours later, search and rescue made it to us, with a lot of help from our riders (mainly Julio and Corey). This was the the end of Dave's journey! We left his hood nailed to the tree we found him under, where it still exists today. We've gone back yearly since that day.....each time bringing back difficult memories of our lost friend. Ironically, tracks may be everywhere, but that bowl has always been fresh, and deep. I think he saves it for us!:)

This is probably the longest post I have ever typed. I hope for some this will bring better understanding of that day. Animal was one of the great ones! I can still see his smile as he cooked breakfast for us that morning! He was in his element! He left a wonderful Wife (Carolyn) and 3 beautiful daughters (Stacey,Janene and Michelle.) I think we are already close to the financial goal. Once again the generosity from people on this forum has strengthened my belief in the good of people! Thanks to all who have donated! I hope this has not been too lengthy! Please ride a little safer and smarter this year! And, remember the words in my signature line!

RIP Dave "Animal" Johnson August 23, 1962 - January 8, 2008

Sunridge

(If anyone else has any thoughts and memories about Dave I would sure be interested in reading them??)

Last edited:
Premium Features