• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OR Federal Rep (D) responds to my NREPA letter

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I'm going to just provide the text of the letter, without any commentary. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

January 15, 2008

Dear Ms. Rainsberry,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition for H.R. 1975, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protaction Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important piece of legislation.

The Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA) was introduced by Representative Carolyn Maloney (NY) on October 18, 2007. The bill has been transferred to the House Committee on Natural Resources where it awaits further action.

This legislation would protect, as wilderness, nearly 7 million acres in Montana, 9.5 million acres in Idaho, 5 million acres in Wyoming, 750,000 acres in Eastern Oregon, and 500,000 acres in eastern Washington. All of the land covered in the bill is already federal public land. Included in the total is over 3 million acres in Yellowstone, Glacier and Grand Teton National Parks.

The Northern Rockies is the only place in the lower 48 state where native species and wildlife are protected on lands that are virtually unchanged since Lewis and Clark saw then. This is public land belonging to all Americans. NREPA would designate all of the remaining roadless lands in the Northern Rockies as wilderness, the strongest protection the federal government can confer on public lands. NREPA does not affect private land. For these reasons, I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 1975. Although we disagree, I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress continues to debate this bill.

Thank you again for writing me with your concern. If I can be of any additional assistance, please call me at 503-326-2901.

With warm regards,
David Wu
Member of Congress

Contact info:
620 SW Main Street
Suite 606
Portland, OR 97205
http://www.house.gov/wu

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Gotta love it when local represenatives sell out to out of state interests...

What is upsetting about this to me is that the "Relegion of Environmentalism" that's been overtaking the west coast, especially what appears to be the north west, is spreading east :(

that letter she sent you sounds like her cookie-cutter response to people with dissenting opinions. In other words, it's a pile of complete crap :)

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Easy for her to say, Oregon gets a national park out of the deal, Idaho gets the biggest shaft you ever seen. Over 9 million acres, what the hay, we aleady have 4 million, and there's only 20 million acres of forest, so that should pretty much shut down everything. Hope they send more federal police with that land grab. There just might be a war.

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
Can you say Sierra Club
More wilderness means more burnt forest in the future.
This land is far from the way is was in the L & C days. I fail to see how it is "protected" Just awaiting the next big burn.:mad:

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Thanks for the post OregonGirl.

The honorable Mr. Wu will be getting contacted by another voter he represents who disagree's with his position on this one.

Knowing how he answered you, I'll have some fun with the part about Lewis and Clarke. At least he might have to spend 10 seconds modifying his form letter....

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
eludnu - I seem to recall that not all the proposed land is "roadless" as Wu states. I was going to look it up, but I have been short on time. And, just to clarify, I didn't make any reference to private land in my letter. Private is private. Public land is for public use...NOT development...none of us want that!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
OG,
Thank you for the letter, and the info on the reply. I have a theory that this will continue until we fix a couple of problems:

1. Here in Washington (and I'm pretty sure there in Oregon) the urban area's out vote the rural ones. So, we end up with people that don't live on the land, making sweeping policy changes to it. I don't know how someone that only "visits" the land, can view it the same as someone that lives on it.
It makes about as much sense as having those of us that are rural having the final vote on a tax increase to provide more parking/intercity roads.
People vote on issues that are important to them. Whether or not they take the time to inform themselves, and have an open enough mind to be receptive are other matters.
I know I'm going to get blasted by every urban person out there that loves the land. Read what I said again.
I'm not saying that if you live in the city your bad. I'm saying that the majority rules. It's easy to vote to put someone in office and then leave them unmonitored to do what they feel is best. It's also easy to not watch what the elected officials do when it's not your backyard, it's somewhere else miles away, or in a track of land that you have never been to.
2. I think we need to be able to hold people accountable for each and every action. Including public officals.
You can try to tell people why the forest burns, but if you hold them acountable for letting the conditions develop that contribute to that burn, you might be able to get thier attention.
3. Line Item Veto. We need to be able to stop the dumb attatchments to bills. I hope I don't have to explain that one.
Anyway, thanks for the info, and the work with SAWS. I'll shut up now. Bagger

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
You are RIGHT ON!

the urban area's out vote the rural ones.

It is EXACTLY the same. Three smallest counties have the largest BLUE population. Three largest counties have the smallest population. (I originated from one of those "largest" counties.) The number of Red counties is greater than the number of Blue counties. But guess what Oregon is?? :mad: BLUE! UGH!!!! The system is BROKEN!

S
Dec 17, 2001
Hillsboro, OR
Wu's a POS! Leave it to some New Yawker to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong. Why don't these people go to the middle east and save that land!!! I know, I know........if they went there they'd probably run into Awkmed, the Dead Terrorist and all they'd hear is "Silence........................I keel you!!!!" If you've seen Jeff Dunham's new DVD, you'll know what I mean!! LOL!:D

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
OG,
It's easy to vote to put someone in office and then leave them unmonitored to do what they feel is best. It's also easy to not watch what the elected officials do when it's not your backyard, it's somewhere else miles away, or in a track of land that you have never been to.

Bagger

Bagger:

Well said. :beer;:beer; Your entire post was spot on IMO, but that statement pretty much sums it up.

I for one figure once they are in office, they represent me, reguardless of if I voted for them or not. And as such, they need to know when we agree with how they are representing us, and more importantly when we don't.

Oregon Girl, thanks again. Your making me dig deeper for the facts.....

W
Dec 3, 2007
wyoming
Here is what I got from Barbara Cubin here in WY!

"Thank you for sharing your views regarding HR 1975, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act, I appreciate hearing from you.

As a fifth generation Wyomingite I strongly believe that our national forests, parks and public lands are treasures that must be protected for future generations. However, I feel that it is equally my responsibility in Congress to protect the public's abilities to utilize our federally managed lands for multiple uses, including agriculture, recreation, and environmentally responsible energy development. During my tenure as the lone Wyoming Member of Congress I have consistantly worked to protect this right of access by bringing increased accountability to all of our federal land management agencies.

Frankly, I find it offensive that Members of Congress from the east coast would introduce legislation that would make such sweeping public lands policy decisions in the west as HR 1975 does, without first gaining the local support of the numerous constituencies that would be affected or even consulting with the Western Members like myself who represent them. HR 1975 has been referred to the House Resources Committee's Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, but has not yet received any formal consideration by that body. Be assured that I will aggressively oppose this legislation should it gain momentum in the 110th Congress, as I feel it is an affront to the right of Wyoming's citizens to play a public role in land management decisions in our State. With Warm Regards, Barabara Cubin"

Babs has been taking alot of heat lately, especially from the transplants, but she has always done good by me.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
please call me at 503-326-2901.

With warm regards,
David Wu
Member of Congress

Don't mind if I do.
He can expect a phone call tomorrow morning as well as a letter as soon as USPS can deliver it to him.
I'm originally from Oregon and my family does still have a verifyable address there too.

Hope they send more federal police with that land grab. There just might be a war.

Pretty much

Premium Features