• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark Plug info

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Last January when I picked up my 08 Dragon I was surprised to see Champion Plugs. From past race car days I am not a fan of those type of plugs for fouling /failure rates. They told me that Polaris designed the ignition system to use that specific Champion plug and anything else could possibly void my warranty if a failure was to happen. I was having a real hard time beliving this and changed all plugs to NGKs as there was a direct cross reference to the Champs.

Now while poking around Snowtech website looking for something else I spotted this which should shed some light on my original dilema. The funny part is that it was dated prior to any of the deliverys of the 155 Dragons.

Note from Snotech: According to Polaris, the NGK BPR9ES and NGK BPR9EVX spark plugs are acceptable substitutes for the Champion RN57YCC and RN57YC spark plugs now found on Polaris engines. The NGK plugs seem to have better sealing gaskets that reduce seepage anytime the plugs have been removed and reinstalled. The ”EV” is a premium fine-wire electrode version of the “ES”.
Which brings to light another question, what is the difference between the Champion RN57YC and RN57YCC? According to Polaris, the RN57YC is also an acceptable replacement for the more commonly used RN57YCC, and that engine damage will not result from this substitution. The CC plug has a longer copper ground electrode for higher heat conductivity, with more coverage (longer ground electrode) for increased plug life, and reduced RFI (radio frequency interference). The CC plug is the better choice, but you can run the single-C version if needed.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
NGK's won't run right at idle and bottom end/ midrange running also, they just don't have enough spark. The engine loads up badly making for worse fuel mileage. I feel sorry for those that have their mindset on only NGK's for use in everything possible to save a buck a plug. I use only Champions in my Poo's. The '07 I just bought had the NGK's installed by the previous owner, pulled them out and installed Champions, you can tell the difference in running at idle to high idle, much smoother.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
NGK's won't run right at idle and bottom end/ midrange running also, they just don't have enough spark. The engine loads up badly making for worse fuel mileage. I feel sorry for those that have their mindset on only NGK's for use in everything possible to save a buck a plug. I use only Champions in my Poo's. The '07 I just bought had the NGK's installed by the previous owner, pulled them out and installed Champions, you can tell the difference in running at idle to high idle, much smoother.
Thanks for the response Marv...I was refering to my 08 Dragon 800 experiance with a CFI system and what a dealer told me. I only switched to NGK's as I have had bad luck with Champs...as far as price..I couldnt even tell you what the price is on any of them as that is not a factor IMHO..they are cheap items no matter what the type for the most part. I saw no difference in idle or midrange with either on the 800cfi. just personal preference.

My wife has a 08 600HO 155 similar to yours I think(from the bottom of your sig. line) and yes it does load up badly at times...It does this irregardless of the type of plugs I switched the two types back and forth a few different times to see if there was a difference. I havnt rode it enough to tell if the plugs make a difference from idle or gas mileage...now that you have me thinking I will definitely check that though...thanks.

In re to fuel milage on the 600 I noticed that it uses the same as my 800cfi and with a rider half the weight that doesnt hit the throttle quite as hard I was surprised. I was told from a few different 600 riders that its a gas hog anyway...Since it is my wifes sled I dont put as much time or concern into it..maybe I should...gas usage was nothing like my old ZX Skidoos but just uses a bit more fuel than one would expect.

The Champions would fould more easily if the 600 went on its side..the NGK's were less prone to it from the experiance we had last year.

I am still trying/working to figure out why this 600 loads up so quickly if it goes over on its side..even if you hit the kill button instantly..doesnt matter.you get to start it like a flooded sled. Checking the timing and TPS settings today.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
That is actually the first time I've ever heard someone liking Champion plugs over NGK. I have been an NGK, Bosch and even Denso plug user for years now on my auto engines. Been using only NGK on my sled engines. Never had a problem. I've heard of failures in the past with Champion plugs with the center electrode falling off and grenading engines...

D
Champion plugs in '07 600

The center electrode insulator broke and caused an intermittent problem....At first it would only happen under long WOT pulls and I thought it was a fuel starvation problem....Switched to NGK and put on 2000 more miles with no problems

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
deepdiver, the jetting on the 600's needs to be done for a stronger running engine and better fuel economy. I went with 40 pilots and needles dropped to #2 from top, and once the temps stayed above 10*F for good 390 mains. Best fuel economy was about 15mpg, and this was in crappy conditions with slush and lotsa water. My best buddy has a 600CFI, and I got better economy than he did and I was busting trail all day long.
And I have heard that the 700/800CFI's were excellent on fuel, not the hogs that those bash them say they are.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I've always run Champion RN57YCC on my Pro-X 800, never had any problems with them and I get them cheap. I also notice a different tone at idle with the Champs compared to NGK.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
In polaris school I talked to the engineer about this..polaris builds all their motors(dyno work) and ecm's around champion plugs..most peeps wont notice the diff running ngk's..but some will...I have had several polaris sleds that ran noticably worse on ngk's...some to the point of fouling plugs if left idling for more then 5-6 minutes at a time..as for the porcelain breaking on champions...that is because they are more suceptable to deto..it is a early warning that the motor had deto..we used to use them in our big nitrous race motors just for that reason..(Big block chevy running 2- NOS.pro fogger 500 hp kits set on max...)as for the 600 ho motor..something sounds fishy..my son has an 08 600 ho 155 and it gets great economy and runs great as well(he is 16 and weighs 165)...

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I just bought some champions, becuse well, thats what it calls for.

I never have been a big fan of them myself, but if thats what they are designed for thats what it gets.

The previous owner had champions in it, NGK's in the windshield bag, and used champoions in the tool kit.

I got nothing ?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Chanpion Plugs

Years ago Champion had quality problems and got a bad reputaion. I understand 2 brothers owned the company and always had diffferent opitions as to the dirrection of their product. A few years back one brother bought the other out and changed the company mind set to make the best plug they could. Since then their products have been top notch. Polaris recognized that and now uses their stuff. That said eveyone gets different results.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
In polaris school I talked to the engineer about this..polaris builds all their motors(dyno work) and ecm's around champion plugs..most peeps wont notice the diff running ngk's..but some will...I have had several polaris sleds that ran noticably worse on ngk's...some to the point of fouling plugs if left idling for more then 5-6 minutes at a time..as for the porcelain breaking on champions...that is because they are more suceptable to deto..it is a early warning that the motor had deto..we used to use them in our big nitrous race motors just for that reason..(Big block chevy running 2- NOS.pro fogger 500 hp kits set on max...)as for the 600 ho motor..something sounds fishy..my son has an 08 600 ho 155 and it gets great economy and runs great as well(he is 16 and weighs 165)...
My main topic was how a dealer would say that something would void a warranty when they dont put it in writing. Again here is what SnowTech got as a response from POLARIS:

According to Polaris, the NGK BPR9ES and NGK BPR9EVX spark plugs are acceptable substitutes for the Champion RN57YCC and RN57YC spark plugs now found on Polaris engines. The NGK plugs seem to have better sealing gaskets that reduce seepage anytime the plugs have been removed and reinstalled. The ”EV” is a premium fine-wire electrode version of the “ES”.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
What does the "EV" use iridium as the center electrode? I know their EIX plugs are iridium. Copper plugs are better in high heat applications (like forced induction), they just last 1/10th as long as an iridium plug. Copper plugs usually last only ~3000 miles. Plat and iridium last over 20K. Clopper plugs are cheap, iridium not so much...

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Exactly!

It just takes a good ear to actually know how your engine is supposed to run, crispier with the Champions. Warm up your sleds long enough and the way you are supposed to and you will see and hear that the NGK's just don't run properly.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Hey Marv...dont you ride at 10deg. or below? Everything runs crispy at those temps. Hard to even pull the rope on a Mod sled at those temps. we ride over here in WA usually not many days on the west side that go into the 20's and it just typically doesnt get too cold..that could be part of the difference too I guess. I just added 4 flow rites to Wifes 600. It has SLP pipe and Can. Looking at SLP.s jetting chart for the 600, I have heard that they are very "conservative" in their jetting. Maybe as much as 3 steps.

Check this link..this is a Polaris site Mod motor set up and they dont seem to have an issue with NGK's I dont think they would use them in their snocross sleds if they ahd any issue whatso ever.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/NR...C312C07A/2358/800ModMotorSetUpSheet112204.pdf

Last edited:
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
What does the "EV" use iridium as the center electrode? I know their EIX plugs are iridium. Copper plugs are better in high heat applications (like forced induction), they just last 1/10th as long as an iridium plug. Copper plugs usually last only ~3000 miles. Plat and iridium last over 20K. Clopper plugs are cheap, iridium not so much...
NGK EV gold palladium spark plugs, have a fine wire (1.0mm) gold palladium center electrode for better ignitability, more power, and enhanced antifouling capabilities. Gold palladium increases durability. Traditional ground electrode.

Gold Palladium

Gold is an excellent conductor of electricity which makes it well suited for a performance plug. However gold is also a very soft metal, therefore the gold alloy is mixed with palladium, (a much harder metal), to form a premium fine wire performance plug with increased ignitability and durability.

The fine wire of the EG (nickel electrode) and EV (gold palladium electrode) Spark Plugs significantly lowers the voltage requirement for firing, optimizing the magneto ignition system.

NGK Fine Wire Spark Plugs feature:

Smaller Diameter Center Electrode Tip
Improves Ignition Efficiency
Better Concentration of Spark for Quick,
Easy Starts
Precious Metals Used in the Center Electrode Increase Ignitability and Durability
Higher Resistance to Fouling
Easier to Spark in High-Compression,
High-Revving Engines
Better Starting Performance
Even on the Coldest Days

B- Meaning it has a 14mm thread size and a 13/16" hex size
9- Position on heat range from 2-12 (2 hottest, 12 coldest)
E- 19mm (3/4") thread reach.
V- Fine wire gold palladium center electrode.
BR9EV - Same as above with resister for improved RFI suppression.

BPR9EV - Not sure what the P is for.

If Polaris calls for a BPR9EV where does it come from or where can you get it??..I cant find it anywhere..does not show up on NGK's web site either.

Last edited:
Premium Features