• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for advise on used RMK

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I'm in the market for a newer sled and went to look at a 2008 RMK600.
After checking it over, there are a lot of ???? on the condition.
Here are a few things I found:
900 miles (I think the clock was around 50 hrs)
Engine has 128psi compression, seems to run fine.
155 track has a few broken lugs
Both skis are garbage. Runners were gone and plastic worn right through. (not even sure how you can do that).
Left side panel was damaged (wouldn't line up).
Both left side A-arms were new.
Light damage around the tin where the panel would clip to.
Plus it's terribly dirty.

First thought was to walk away, but if it just needs a cleaning and some cosmetic repairs, I might consider.
The thing i was scared of is frame damage. I did not find any ripples, new welds, bent alum, etc.
This was only visible from underneath, cause under the hood is so full, ya can't even see the frame.

So if the sled did get damaged on front suspension, what do I need to look for or where would the damage show up??? Is there a specific place for the first signs of damage?
Any pointers, info is appreciated.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
miles, no big deal in my opinion.
broken lugs on the 155, garbage skis, broken side panels and busted A arms?

I would walk away. That sled was riden HARD.
In order to run thru the runners like that it was run on asphalt or concrete for quite a bit. I would say the sled was abused.

How much are they asking for it?

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
Personal experience

Just from personal experience I would let it go. If you had that gut feeling right away your feeling is right. There are sleds everywhere for sale take some time. I've bought a 4-wheeler that I had that feeling about and it ended up with a total engine overhaul within 1 month. I've bought a sled that I had that feeling on and it was endless problems and ended up dumping $2000 into it over a year. Take your time you will find one. The first impression you get when looking at a sled should be....wow that sled looks like how I would have it. JMO. Good luck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Walk away unless you like to tinker and trouble shoot plus get it real cheap ... like under $4000.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
my son has one..he got it from me for x-mas..it is a great sled...but sounds like this sled has been badly abused..walk..no run away from it unless it is super cheap....

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
The good thing about the IQ chassis is the strength of the bulkhead. Unlike another brand, if you whack something with the skis and tear out the A arms, not much else gets damaged. For the right price, it may be fine.

I ride the identical sled, (well, no torn lugs, no new a-arms, good skis, and no tin damage) and I like it a lot. I went from an 04 800 to the 08 600 and go just about everywhere on the 6 that I did on the 8. Plus it's easier on me. But if the previous abuse makes you nervous, there are plenty of sleds out there. No sense spending your hard earned cash to have something you will be nervous about.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
Well I talked with the owner this morning. He has no history on the machine. He purchased it just to flip it and make a couple bucks. He bought it damaged and replaced the A arms, front shocks, then stopped because it was starting to cost too much.
You never know, it might run fine for years, but my gut just doesn't feel that way.
I'll just continue shopping.

Premium Features