• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bd pump gas turbo install/09 Dragon 163

S
Dec 20, 2007
Boondocker turbo install 09 Dragon 163 pics.

Just a few words on the install of our pump gas turbo kits. We insatlled them on 2 09-163 Dragons.
Positive Observations.
#1 The Bd kit provides great instructions, parts packets are numbered and to my suprise they dont short you on the minor items. Plenty of zip ties ect.
#2 The over all install was very clean and fit and finish was excelent.
#3 The sled fired up second pull and idled perfect.
#4 The Bd box setting were a snap everthing was pre set for the ADA. Wow it was awsome not to have to be punching the controlboard to set up the fuel maps. Even a first timer can get his hands around the concept. And even when you add or subtract boost you dont have to spend all day messing with the settings. Bd hit a home run with the Air density system.
#5 From the very first start up the sled ran crisp and clean.

Cons
#1 It would be nice if the wires on the controller were a bit longer or Bd could include a mounting bracket so it can sit just in front of the bars. I made one and it worked well.
#2 Pics of the electrical connectors that you have to hard wire into you factory harnnes would be nice.
#3 A note on the install instructions telling you where you can view your avg. boost on the Bd box and a rought estinmate as to how many clicks on the controller to PSI on the boost.

Im impressed with the kit and its a real friendly install, that most sledders can easily figure out. My wife and neighbors think im a jackass getting seat time on this thing in the garadge. (Transalated) It sounds damn good. I need to get some seat time on the snow to tell you how the power really comes on, but when she starts to spool you can really tell the game is on. Its a way sweet kit and I would recomend it to anyone that has a craving for the boost option. Ill be running the 110 Sunnoco fuel and 8 to 10 PIS boost but my testing so far has been with pump gas in the tank and 4 to 6 PSI boost.

I purchased my kit from Snow JW here on the froum. Everthing came packaged perfectly and on time. I even got a BD hat out of the deal.
Justin is a great guy to deal with. Cant say enought about that. He went abouve and beyond to answer question and give opions about my aplication. He took the time to follow up with calls to make sure I understood the various concepts with this kit, and everthing was coming together as it should. I wont hesitate to call him up from time to time if and when I have questions. Ill say it again, anyone thats kicking the idea around, go for it! It really is a clean system. Ill get some pics and post asap.
Thanks again Justin.

Attachments

• BD install 001.jpg
    BD install 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 522
  • BD install 006.jpg
    BD install 006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 428
  • BD install 005.jpg
    BD install 005.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 462
  • BD install 007.jpg
    BD install 007.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 432
  • BD install 002.jpg
    BD install 002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
nice post sled, would love to hear how it works,spool time(LAG), throttle response as well as ridability once you get her on the white stuff..and yes justin is a great asset to this forum ...

S
Dec 20, 2007
See pics above of the end result. I havent installed the Egt gages as of yet and am stll waiting on side vents. As for the turbo install this is the final product.

L

LongTrack

Nov 26, 2007
Nice clean install. How long did it take to do? Also tossing up the idea of putting a PG kit on my 08 D8.

S
Dec 20, 2007
Nice clean install. How long did it take to do? Also tossing up the idea of putting a PG kit on my 08 D8.

The first one took some time as I wanted to read everthing twice to make sure it was right. It is pretty much an all day job untill youve done one the second one was about a 1/2 day. Its a fun install.

S
Dec 20, 2007
What are thos kits going for?

Snow could tell you better than I but if my memory is right I was around 4K for the turbo kit + or minus a couple bucks. I snow cheched my kits last spring an bought two at a time, so I dont remember the exact price per each. If you decide to do it. Id check with Snow JW here on the forum and see whatt he can do for you. I know he can save you some bucks compared to Bd dirrect.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
did you have to extend the wires for the bd box to put it where you did? or just leave more hanging out from the clutch cover/wire box?, i was going to do the same thing but my wires didnt seem long enough w/ out having a cluster fo wires showing under the hood

Last edited:
S
Dec 20, 2007
did you have to extend the wires for the bd bock to put it where you did? or just leave more hanging out from the clutch cover/wire box?, i was going to do the same thing but my wires didnt seem long enough w/ out having a cluster fo wires showing under the hood

I Cut a hole in the ecu cover and have the factory harness termination stubed out the edge of it to get the lenght needed for mounting. I would be cleaner it it sat directl under the cover but as you said, it would be real tight to make it work out that way. It still looks pretty good the way Ive tied the looms together but longer would definately be better.

L

LongTrack

Nov 26, 2007
Could you give us some specifics on clutching and if the primary and secondary both get changed from sea level to 10-12000 ft? wanting to run just the pump gasversion without innercooler to start.

S
Dec 20, 2007
Could you give us some specifics on clutching and if the primary and secondary both get changed from sea level to 10-12000 ft? wanting to run just the pump gasversion without innercooler to start.

Yes primary /secondary and helix with lightning weights. Maybe Snow will chime in here and tell us the specs. I cant remember off the top of my head. They should be here today or tomorrow and Ill post them up is we dont here back from Snow.

A few guys have asked for more pics, Ill try to get a few more on tonight that show wiring details ect. Ive also got some really cool side vents from Snow with the RMK logo that I can post some pics of. They really bring everything together from a side view.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
71 gram lightening weights, 48straight/50 strait double cut helix, black/orange team spring in the secondary, and i cant remember the primary spring off the top of my head( its been a few weeks)

S
Dec 20, 2007
keep the info coming. Could like to know if you got the muffler or just the straight pipe through the tunnel.

Straight pipe in the tunnel. The noise is not bad when your on the sled. The tunnel muffles it pretty good but step to the side and it will make you ears ring! I think it will be great in the snow with or without a helmet on. You dont notice a noise issue at all until she starts to boost around 6 psi then the dbs go through the roof. Im not into loud sleds just for the noise value, but did I mention it sounds really cool!!!!

S
Dec 20, 2007
As promised a few more pics of the final product.

Attachments

• 09 turbo dragon 006.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 006.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 09 turbo dragon 008.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 008.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 09 turbo dragon 015.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 015.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 09 turbo dragon 005.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 005.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 161
  • 09 turbo dragon 007.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 007.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 09 turbo dragon 010.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 010.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 09 turbo dragon 009.jpg
    09 turbo dragon 009.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Very cool install, and I like the vents.

Have you thought about running straight rails?

Two friends have '08 Dragon 8's with turbos and they both run straight rails because with the kicked rails, the sleds want to flip over themselves all the time.

S
Dec 20, 2007
Very cool install, and I like the vents.

Have you thought about running straight rails?

Two friends have '08 Dragon 8's with turbos and they both run straight rails because with the kicked rails, the sleds want to flip over themselves all the time.

This is the first Ive heard of this problem. How about sucking up the limiter strap and stiffen up the rear track spring? At 10psi I wouldnt think this would be much of an issue. I hope it pulls hard enought to flip over, that will put a smile on my face. What kind of rails are they using? Are they this long to start with or are they a shorter track lenght? Something to consider I geuss.

Premium Features