• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to clean the clutch with??

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
OK, so i know this seems like a stupid question..BUT :eek:

1.What do you use to clean the clutches and is there anything that you should NOT clean/get wet when doing this..

My wifes old 94 zr700 arctic cat that i am rebuilding to sell and the belt blew, and melted on the clutches, and blew a hose and is sticky from antifreeze..need to figure out how to clean it...

Thanks,

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
Simple Green, hot water, scrub with a green Scotchbrite pad. It's not a good idea to use hydrocarbons, the solvents will soak into the pores of the aluminum and re-deposit on the belt once the clutch gets up to operating temp. That makes the belt slippery.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I like a powder cleaner like BonAmi, scotchbrite or steel wool & lots of hot water.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
for the belt surface on the clutch I start it and take scotch bright and run it up and down so it will clean it. don't rev it up, its hard on the fingers

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
awesome...thanks for the help guys..its a touchy area and i didnt want to assume anything...

i read too that some people put the clutches in the dishwasher..well when the wife is at work. HA!!..any truth to that..i guess it couldnt hurt as long as its try before install and you use a good low detergent soap..

Thanks again for all your inputs.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
awesome...thanks for the help guys..its a touchy area and i didnt want to assume anything...

i read too that some people put the clutches in the dishwasher..well when the wife is at work. HA!!..any truth to that..i guess it couldnt hurt as long as its try before install and you use a good low detergent soap..

Thanks again for all your inputs.

well...since I dont have a wife I suppose it is safe to say..I wash both my clutches and my new belts(wash new belts twice to make sure the mold release compound is completely gone)..has always worked great...

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
sweet

well...since I dont have a wife I suppose it is safe to say..I wash both my clutches and my new belts(wash new belts twice to make sure the mold release compound is completely gone)..has always worked great...

Really..i would have never thought about wasking the belts..goood call..i will do that for sure as well..

yeh the dishwasher seemed logical, but wasnt sure if everything was safe or if it would leave deposits on the bushings, or a residue on the clutch surface..much relief now..

Thanks for everything guys. its appreciated.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I clean my clutches with isopropyl alcohol; +1 for washing belts before use. I do mine in the sink with Dawn.... adds a few extra HP.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i have a ton of mineral spirits in the garage from cleaning parts to powder coat..

not sure what the isopropyl alcohol is, but will look and see what i have and inquire about it..

cleaning the belts adds HP, SWEET..maybe i will spray the whole sled with dish soap, try and catch me now..better install a seat belt just in case...HAHA!!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
i have a ton of mineral spirits in the garage from cleaning parts to powder coat..

not sure what the isopropyl alcohol is, but will look and see what i have and inquire about it..

cleaning the belts adds HP, SWEET..maybe i will spray the whole sled with dish soap, try and catch me now..better install a seat belt just in case...HAHA!!

Might check my thread on about page 3 now-P85 & the new SW I got today has a good article on clutching by SLP. They say no liquids on the clutch for cleaning other than soap.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
There is actually a product called Clutch and Belt cleaner..I used it and it seemed ok except do NOT put the open bottle on a trailer on a slopped driveway with the lid off with slick ski glides. Didnt get to use it more than that one time..it seemed like a mild cleaner. I think it came from Dennis Kirk or HPE..cant recall.

Premium Features