• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

temp light on 02 800 rmk

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I know about the temp sensor, I could use a spec on the ohms, but I have put 2 used temp sensors, 2 cdis and I can't get the light to turn off, I know the main harness and the hood harness are ok. can the tps turn the temp light on? it was not on with the old motor and the only things that are different are the temp sensor and the tps. can anybody give me any ideas

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
On an '02 the only thing that turns it on is the temp sensor.

What do you mean about "with the old motor"? Have you done a motor swap or something? If so, what are the details of that swap.

If you unplug the sensor does the light go off?

sled_guy

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I know about the temp sensor, I could use a spec on the ohms, but I have put 2 used temp sensors, 2 cdis and I can't get the light to turn off, I know the main harness and the hood harness are ok. can the tps turn the temp light on? it was not on with the old motor and the only things that are different are the temp sensor and the tps. can anybody give me any ideas

Temp sensors are just a thermal resistor switch. You can watch the resistance(Ohms) change as temp. goes up or down. At a certain temp. dependent on the sensor part number/type it will close and make the contact that turns the light on. Not all temp sensors are the same either.
There are other ways to turn that light on..i.e. a short in the light circuit etc..

If you have a page with the schmatic I can take a look at it and come up with some troubleshooting tips. I dont know the Polaris circuitry by heart so dont know if they have any other components in that circuit or not. Not a very hard thing to look at. I personally dont trust idiot lights so I go with a gauge. With idiot lights you might be in bright sunlight and not even see it come on.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
now that I have had time to think about it w/o the frustration, it has to be the engine harness, I pulled a ported motor and put in a stock motor, the only things that were changed was the engine harness and the temp sensor. I have several of them laying around so I am going to try that when I get home

Premium Features