• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Q's

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Okay, I'm pretty new to sledding (2 yrs) and very new to Polaris (1 week) I bought a 2001 rmk 800 151 (now a 162) and have a couple of questions. First in the key switch it has a reg and prem position does this make any difference? I dont have a key (sled wasnt stolen just lost the key) and I was wondering if I should wire it to the prem side constantly? I am assuming that this is advancing the timing 2-4 degrees. Also this sled is stone stock motor wise and I was looking at different pipe setups. I have had good luck with C.P.I. on banshees and was looking at their twins for the sled. Anybody have any experience with these? Tuning issues? I was also planning an going to V-force 3's. Worth it? Or should I just buy good petals. Any other tips and info would be very much appreciated as most of my riding buddies are cat riders. I am aware of the crank issue but I am hoping it will make it through this season because we are getting to close to snow to be sending the motor off for work. Thanks for any help

Flit-e

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Riverton, Mountain View..Wyoming
Welcome to snowest and the sport!!
yes the prem setting just plays with the timing..i would make it run on that setting for optimum performance
and for reeds i have good luck with carbon tech before, and loved my boyesen rad valve on my dirt bike.
for pipes i would put a SLP single on it also do a cheater head, gut the airbox and get the high flow top from SLP remove your speedo and put a big flo-rite in there, then do trail porting and plug the decompression hole.
then just work on cutting weight on it.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
you are spot on, the premium switch advances the timing a few degrees. I like having the switch there but it wont hurt anything to have it wired up for premium. You will benefit greatly from the addition of an slp single with that motor and the vf3's are worthwhile

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Thanks guys! Does anybody which wires I need to connect for the prem setting? I was thinking of plugging the switch back in and just breaking it over to the prem setting.(Its on the reg setting but the switch is unplugged)

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I was avoiding the key thing as I dont need any more things that I could possibly forget on riding day:confused: but I could probably just tape it in the switch so maybe I will just go that route. Thanks

B

brent9k

Dec 17, 2007
BOZEMAN, MT
www.attackmotorsports.com
RIP it all out

the system defalts to pre mode if you disconect the pink and black wires form your key is will be on PRE, but your light will not come on.

or you can rip the hole key switch out and it will just run off the handle bar kill switch and always be on PRE.

Good luck

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Cool that saves me the trouble of having another small object to lose! Has anybody ever ran the cpi twins? Everbody tells me to run the slp single because all the twins are a tuning nightmare but I am used to messing with stuff from playing with banshees. Is there enough extra power to make it worth jetting all the time?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I've run both on my 800. I currently have slp race twins on it. Unless you are truely into highmarking your buddies down to the last couple of sled lengths or beating someone in a drag race across the lake by the same I wish I still had my single. Sure there are times I am grinnin now, but I have to jet alot more and doesn't have the bottom and mid snap that made the single so much fun. Be honest with yourself just how you ride and what it is you are looking for. I ride with guys that every inch matters, and then again with guys that just like to have fun....

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I would like to get the most out of it but I also dont want to be fiddling with jets while everybody else is riding, I dont mind some extra tuning but changing jets every time the temp change 5 degrees gets real tiresome. That makes slp single [23] twins [1] I think I will go with popular opinion on this one. Thanks for all the help!

Premium Features