• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XTRA-10 extra pain in the arse!

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
:mad::confused: Okay, pulled rear skid from under my 1997 XLT RMK to grease it along with the other zerks on machine that haven't had any attention for some. Having royal headache trying to get rear skid back in.

Using overhead crane in the shop at my work to lift rear end. Was only able to get front mounting bolts in place. Had to crane sled on its nose to let track hang to line up front bolts.:( Rear bolt holes are about an inch and half forward of cross shaft when sled is lowered to level of shaft. Tried adjusting track tenson shorter and longer to try to get holes to line up. No luck. I'm thinking I need to put rear bolts in first or collapse suspension somehow to get it in. Polaris service book I have on CD isn't real clear on this.

Any suggestions, new cuss words, or new ways to hold my mouth to get skid back in would be reatly appreciated. I didn't want to tip machine on its side on the concrete but if that's what I have to do I will. I swapped out to a longer track on an old Indy 400 I had a few years ago using this crane method but did not have nowhere near this much trouble (the fact the 3/8" holes that were egged out to about 9/16" had nothing to do with it!)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
We have all fought them until we leaned! Unhook the springs in the rear and then you can move the rear cross shaft forward and back....and up and down. It is easier when it is on the floor laying on its side, but you should still be able to get it with it hanging as well.:beer;

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Talk about doing things the hard way there partner. Get some cardboard boxes and lay them flat to lay your sled on its side if you don't want to "scratch" it up being 12 model years old, lol. Sorry! Remove the torsion springs from their place so there is no tension holding the rear arm from where it needs to be. Good luck with it.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
:mad::confused: Okay, pulled rear skid from under my 1997 XLT RMK to grease it along with the other zerks on machine that haven't had any attention for some. Having royal headache trying to get rear skid back in.

Using overhead crane in the shop at my work to lift rear end. Was only able to get front mounting bolts in place. Had to crane sled on its nose to let track hang to line up front bolts.:( Rear bolt holes are about an inch and half forward of cross shaft when sled is lowered to level of shaft. Tried adjusting track tenson shorter and longer to try to get holes to line up. No luck. I'm thinking I need to put rear bolts in first or collapse suspension somehow to get it in. Polaris service book I have on CD isn't real clear on this.

Any suggestions, new cuss words, or new ways to hold my mouth to get skid back in would be reatly appreciated. I didn't want to tip machine on its side on the concrete but if that's what I have to do I will. I swapped out to a longer track on an old Indy 400 I had a few years ago using this crane method but did not have nowhere near this much trouble (the fact the 3/8" holes that were egged out to about 9/16" had nothing to do with it!)

I dont unhook the torsion springs..I take a ratchet strap and hook it from the upper rear arm down to the lower frt arm..just tighten till it lines up.. no fussing with springs or fighting anything..after bolts are in let the ratchet strap loose and remove...

P
May 4, 2008
McCall, Idaho
It also works to put the e-brake on , put a prybar in a window of the track and pry the rear arm forward. If the sled is upright adjust the machine up or down to align for that direction. No new cuss words required, the ones you already know will be sufficient.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Laying the sled on the side so you can just drop the suspension in and then using a rachet strap to help line up the rear arm holes makes it about a 5 minute job.

Premium Features