• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suspension setup or track problem?

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
So here is my problem. I have a 2005 900 RMK with the 166” track. I have about 40lbs taken off from stock form. I need some advice on set up.

The problem I have is I don’t think it climbs as well as it should. It seems to do fine just about everywhere else until I point it up a powdery hill or hard pack. I am looking at suspension setup and the track its self.

I noticed the tips of all the paddles are bent over and I suspect this is great for flotation but sucks for traction when you want to get going. In fact when the snow is setup or hard pack the track spins like crazy and everyone I’m riding with leaves me in the dust. So I wonder, will I rip all the lugs off if I flip the track around?

Suspension setup. I played with different limiter strap lengths and didn’t notice a huge difference. Different torsion spring setting again not much difference. Any other ideas on suspension setup What should I be looking for?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
It sounds like difficult riding conditions

Bottom line is, most paddle tracks were not made for hard pack. Fliping the track around isent going to change that!

The tips being bent over does not promote floatation, its rather a side effect of driving on hard packed condtions. Yes you can rip off paddles.

The reason you dont have traction is becuse you have a very small amount of track (just the tips) touching the snow. Its intended to be buried in snow.

Keep in mind you are going to smoke your Hyfax and overheat your motor if your not useing any scratchers.

Its like driving a race car to work and taking your everyday driver to the track.

A trail sled is for the trails. They are geared tuned and set for hard pack and groomed trails. A RMK 900 is a special purpose sled. Deep snow, off trail, backcountry riding. Mixing the two is akin to the above statement !

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
225# front track spring, and possibly heavier spring for the rear.

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Its got a soft paddle track, they are for deep snow and will spin on hard pack. Find a 2 inch harder rubber track for the trails. The 225# spring is a very good mod on the 900, made mine handle much better but it will not keep your track from spinning on the trail.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
OK Lets tackle it from this angle. What suspension setup is better for deep powder? Is the setup for Climbing different?

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
i have the same sled 05 900 166 aniversary eddition and was screwing with the setup last year im about 190 lbs and have the rear springs tensioned up all the way and i have the adjustable rear shock and if i turn it to the hardest position seems to climb better also i let the limiters out all the way last year seems to trench more every once in a while but other times seems to climb alot better. the paddles have the lower portion supported well and the upper portion bends really easy so it packs the snow then the stiff portion scoops it.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Thanks Happyfast

I played with the limiter strap last year and had some problems with trenching but wasn't quite sure if was the sled setup, the endless powder or my brain lock that keeps me from letting up on the throttle.

I was always under the impression to set the suspension up real soft and that in theory would allow the suspension to compress if needed and climb up on the snow. If it is to stiff it will just be pushed down into the snow and start trenching.

It seems that from the little bit I have seen here lately I should go for a much stiffer setup.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
soft tips

Does the 166 track have a 2.4 lug? If it does you could cut .4 off and you would be left with a 2" lug which would be alot stiffer than the stock soft tips. Your other option is to go to a challenger extreme. That also has a pretty firm lug.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Does the 166 track have a 2.4 lug? If it does you could cut .4 off and you would be left with a 2" lug which would be alot stiffer than the stock soft tips. Your other option is to go to a challenger extreme. That also has a pretty firm lug.

another option that someone mentioned last winter was cutting down the paddle tips on the ends of each paddle and screwing sheetmtal screws into the paddle..the screw stiffens the paddle up so it works better on harder snow...

Premium Features