• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Difference between 09 RMK and Dragon

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I was wondering if someone who has seen both could tell me all of the differences between an 09 rmk and 09 dragon 800. The obvious things that come to my mind is the handlebars, shocks, and of course the hood color/graphics.

The main reason i ask is i am thinking about upgrading the 07 dragon to an 09 800, but don't like the white dragon hood/graphics, so i was considering the rmk 800. But i noticed they claim a 15 lbs. difference betweeen the rmk and dragon. Surely some of that is the shocks and handlebars, but 15lbs?? Anything else that may contribute to the weight difference that i may not know about?

Are the shock differences really worth it to get the dragon? I have had issues keeping the ones on my 07 dragon charged, the new ones any better? Thanks in advance.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 2009 Dragon has

Light weight brake rotor
IQ-R brake master cyl
Single ply track
non pivot style handlebar mounts
different shocks
Handlebar controls moved to console
Magnesium chaincase cover
3 driver system on the Driveshaft for dragon

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
09 RMK's still have 08 sway bar/A-arm geometry. 09 Dragon's have a new placement of the sway bar (in front) that seems to be a much better design (less diving, etc)

C
Nov 26, 2007
Sled Shocks

In my opinion, whatever brand new Polaris you buy is going to come with crappy shocks. The Walkers are nothing special, and I would not buy a Dragon just to get those Walker shocks. I was told the reason the sway bar was moved was to compensate for the front shocks. I am buying an 09 D8 and I am changing the front shocks right away. Not sure about the rear ones yet, may see if if I can get through the first season on them.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I'll give you $200 for your "crappy" take off WE shocks... If they are so bad then $100 a shocks is a great deal then.

S
Dec 20, 2007
I'll give you $200 for your "crappy" take off WE shocks... If they are so bad then $100 a shocks is a great deal then.

No joke, I think that is a safe call. My personal opion is, there arent any better out there than those crappy WEs. Wow, whats not to like about them?

S
Dec 20, 2007
I haven't had any problems with my WE and have liked them!! but I also have never road on fox floats...? so might not know the difference

I ran with the floats last season on the M10K and ya they were nice but I couldnt tell any diffrence from the We's on the dragons. Maybe Im just to amature to tell.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Walker Shocks

No joke, I think that is a safe call. My personal opion is, there arent any better out there than those crappy WEs. Wow, whats not to like about them?

Well guys, I am probably very spoiled since my last 3 sleds have had Holz suspension(with Fox shocks) both front and rear. I rode a buddies stock 08 D8 last year and was not impressed with the ride. Others that I know used the stock skid, but changed to a different shock(Fox) and said that the ride was greatly improved. The dealer I am buying my sled from does not seem to keen on the Walkers and I know Mark Holz hates them. These are some of the things that have shaped my opinion on the Walker shocks. HOWEVER, not everybody shares my thoughts on the subject and thats a great thing, because when my take off front shocks show up in a few weeks they will indeed be for sale, and they will go to the highest bidder. :D

S

SKYJMPR

Nov 27, 2007
THORNTON ,CO / longmont
Yeah i also went to a holz suspension this year ( 08 d ) front and rear w/fox floats looks great just waiting for the snow, never had a problem with Walker evans i just thought that i would up-grade by hearing good things about the floats and the holz suspension.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I got to ride a 09 800 wiht the race WE's converted over to fit and it was SICK. Look for an upgradeable race quality shock from WE later next year.

Premium Features