• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How often do you replace clutch springs?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Every season.... they are cheap and play such a key role in your sled...

If you think about it... they sit compressed even when you are not using the sled...

Like $40 to replace both...

Sounds excessive I know, but it is great peace of mind and not wrenching when other are riding...

My 2 cents

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I always replace the primary spring twice a year and the secondary spring once a year but like mountainhorse said it is a little excessive but its added piece of mind since I run my sleds hard.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I normally replace mine every season or sooner if I suddenly have clutching issues...Have been known to put on 7000 miles in 1 season but that was a few years ago..but 4-5000 is common...

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I normally do it every season.

Back in my ice racing days we'd do it every other race-weekend. But when $$ is on the line $40 is a small price for the added insurance.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
I have had springs last a decade and some last a season. The trick is to monitor your RPM and make sure you don't have a worn belt. Springs won't make the sled un rideable. Most issues are with a worn belt. Put a small sliver of bright tape on your tach helps monitor small changes.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I service both primary and secondary clutches a minimum of once per year (pre season) sometimes twice if I have been doing alot of WFO riding and put on alot of miles. When I service my clutches I replace pretty much all the wear parts (weight bushing's, springs, delrin washers, button's etc.).

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
In this economy $40 is $40. :( I remove and disassemble both clutches first thing at the end of the season. And pretty much wait until I'm ready to ride before I put everything back together. I rarely see 1000 miles in a season anymore so mine tend to last a few seasons.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Wifes 07 RMK 600 wasn't holding rpm at end of last season(would not pull full rpm)thought it might be the belt but maybe spring instead?Sled is right at 1000 miles.
:confused:How do I know if belt is too worn,guess I could just swap out the belt to a new one,but there's no snow for a test ride. Pete

Premium Features