• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to get snap rings in pistons?

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
whats the best way to get the snap rings in the piston on a 05 900 rmk
i have one side done but it was a pain and the other side is fighting me tooth and nail. any help would be appretiated

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Hey man,
It takes a lot of practice. End result is to have the opening of the snap ring either at 12 or 6 oclock in relation to the centerline of the piston. On the polaris i always put one side of the ring right in the grove with the edge of the ring right at about 11:30 opposite the notch that is cut alongside the groove. I hold against the ring with my thumb so that it stays put. With the free hand i take my trusty pick and http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=84751&group_ID=13338 put it in the notch. I then twist the pick so that it forces the ring into the groove, all the while holding the ring tightly with my thumb. Usually it will pop right in, but sometimes you may have to finish it with a flatblade. Also remember to have the case opening stuffed with rags and have a magnet on hand. Do not distort the ring nor re-use old ones. Make damn sure it engages the groove fully and that it is very tight. I have had a dyslexic partsman give me the snap ring from a 600 piston, luckily I noticed it right away, would have taken out the motor for sure.
Steve

Last edited:
R
Dec 17, 2006
I get the snap ring started with my fingers, and then use a deep socket that fits into the hole all the way, and push ,and the ring snaps right in.like mention above make sure its in all the way around.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Using right hand, Grab the smallest regular screw driver you have with the right leg of the clip (gap straight up) so its pinched between your index finger and thumb so there's about 1/2" of the screwdriver tip exposed. I put the left side of the clip in first and use the screw driver as a little lever on the right, use your fingers to block the clip from springing out and guide it with you free thumb from the bottom as you snap it in with the screwdriver.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I have a small set of very rigid, but small/thin pair of needle nose that are bent at about 70deg or so right at the tip which allows me to be able to hold the piston, and get into tight places if needed, just working the circlip around with the pliers and my thumb with the oppisite hand. Have used the same ones for about 10 years and couldnt imagine doing it with anything else!

Premium Features