• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EGTs for Pump Gas Turbos??

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
What gauges are must have for a Boondocker pump gas turbo? Do I need an EGT, wideband or boost gauge or can I get all the information I need off the Boondocker programing box?

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
EGT's are a must. Widebands are nice and a tad easier for the initial tune in but if you ever plan on running race gas the Bosch sensors don't last very long.

I run Koso waterproof very clean looking has warning system and high playback read as well.

The BD box has a boost gauge built into it and also records your highest average and accounts for and takes out the boost spike readings automatically but it is small and hard to read sometimes so the boost gauge is a personal preference. I run Autometer white face for boost.

When I sell these kits now I sell them as a package deal clutching,EGT's the works just makes it easier for everyone.

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i'm running the koso dual egt gauge on mine, and most likely getting a boost gauge as well

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
If you have the money and want to do it right do a Digatron four window and a afr unit in combo until you get a bead on your EGT's vs your state of tune/RPM/boost ect ect. Even though it's old school it's still the best functioning EGT data logging device for this environment at moderate prices.

Once you tie it all together then you can pull your afr sensor (they don't live long) and go from EGT reads and know exactly what is up in there. Smart guys who can actually pay attention do very well with simple data logging EGT's and they will tell you the absolute story. Guys that don't know what they are doing and don't take the time to learn how things work struggle and then normally misinform.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
Should you be running the boost gauge then? So far I wan't thinking of running one. Once you set your boost on the bd box shouldnt it only max at your highest setting? Sorry im new with the turbo thing.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Boost is set not by the box but my this. Once set it will stay there just nice to keep an eye on it. Like I said the BD box has a peak boost memory and also has your current boost but sometimes it can be hard to read so that is why some choose to have a gauge.

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=43

As far as a 4 window I make good money on a 4 window display but it is realy not needed for these kits. I mean maybe if your looking to pick up that 1-3hp you might be somehow missing in a tune but at 200hp you will know when it's running good and with these new kits once you have it there you are golden.
I do agree that with leaded fuel the o2 sensors fail after a wile that is why some guys tune in with an o2 sensor and then go to EGT's but it is still easy to tune in on just EGT's alone.

Premium Features