• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in oil

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So since dino oil is better than synthetic for engine break-in, what is everyone using? My 09 D8 came with a full tank of VES gold. I'm thinking this is not the best oil to use on break-in. Also why would oil be added to the first tank of gas? I just don't see the piston rings sealing as well with VES gold sythetic in the oil reservoir or mixed with the first tank of gas...
I see Royal Purple makes specific break-in oil for snowmobiles, anyone ever used it before???

Anyone have any recommendations on the best Chain Case gear oil? Need to replace it on my edge and didn't like how much shavings were on the magnet when I pulled it out today after 2 seasons of riding (Polaris chain gear oil)

Last edited:
J
Mar 7, 2008
I broke my 08 in with ves gold and haven't had any issues, besides if something goes boom it's warranty anyways. Also I have talked to a few dealers poo cat and doo and they have all said if you bring a sled in for warranty work and your reservoir is filled with something that appears different than what the manufacturer reccomends you may be stuck with the bill and a voided warranty. The manufacturer of the engine tells the company buying the motors from them what is required as a lubricant to keep the motors running trouble free, and that is what they have made for them to resell with there brand name on it. If your gonna use something else make sure it is warranty approved.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Good point. Don't want to lose my warranty on the D8.

I broke my Edge Liberty motor in with VES gold and have ran it ever since. Never had a problem. Only a compression test will tell you if those piston rings are seated well though and I never did it on my edge. I am getting my motor built right now on my old edge so I have to break in that motor as well. Don't know if I want to break that in on VES gold since there is no warranty for it from Polaris anymore. I know what has worked for me on audi motors so I figure I'd bring this subject up to the 2 stroke crowd. Obviously no one has too many opinions.

Dino (non syth) > synthetic oil for proper piston ring breakin, just the way it is... just want to know of any snowmobile oil that is non synthetic. :beer;

J
Mar 7, 2008
U can use ****ty optimax wich i wouldn't run in my weedeater, or phillips synjex i think is non synthetic, or just some 2 cycle husqvarna oil. Also there some semi synthetic blends (half and half) you can get too motul makes some can't remember name though. will let you know when I find it.
If dino oil is better for break in then how is synthetic better for everyday use ?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
they have to warranty it just the same....been over this a number of times, if a manufacturer absolutely requires a specific oil for use in their machine, they have to supply it for free....since none of them do that because of cost, any good quality oil that meets specs is ok....if a dealer says that only one oil will do, ask him to give it to you, guaranty he will back off.....a manufacturer will have to prove that the oil you used was the CAUSE of the engine failure, and the burden of proof in a court for that is nearly impossible

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
How you break in the engine is more important than what oil you break it in with. Ride it hard, varying the throttle and load frequently, and it'll live a long happy life. Putter around and be gentle with it during break-in and the rings will never seat right and you won't get the performance you paid for.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
How you break in the engine is more important than what oil you break it in with. Ride it hard, varying the throttle and load frequently, and it'll live a long happy life. Putter around and be gentle with it during break-in and the rings will never seat right and you won't get the performance you paid for.

Agreed , seat the valves regardless of the oil. WOT on various loads but never with no load.

They put the oil in the gas tank as insurance that the oil injector is sending enough oil into the engine. Suppose to check and see if oil resevoir is going down with fuel comsumption.

As far as the gear oil. Don't use gear oil.

USE ATF OIL INGEAR BOX !!! Will have less wear and less metal shavings.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
So since dino oil is better than synthetic for engine break-in, what is everyone using? My 09 D8 came with a full tank of VES gold. I'm thinking this is not the best oil to use on break-in. Also why would oil be added to the first tank of gas? I just don't see the piston rings sealing as well with VES gold sythetic in the oil reservoir or mixed with the first tank of gas...
I see Royal Purple makes specific break-in oil for snowmobiles, anyone ever used it before???

Anyone have any recommendations on the best Chain Case gear oil? Need to replace it on my edge and didn't like how much shavings were on the magnet when I pulled it out today after 2 seasons of riding (Polaris chain gear oil)

I have always purchased used machines, never had the pleasure of breaking one in, so cant help you there.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a used 04 RMK 800. Got it home started really going through things and pulled the chain case dip stick. #&)%)#&@_ there was metal all over the magnet.

pulled the exhust, got the chaincase off and found more metal. Things just kept getting better. As I started to inspect things the chain was a little loose, but I was confused as the bottom gear had been rubbing the cover?? Then I found bolt that secures the bottom gear to the driveshaft gone ?

Took everthing apart and fount the bolt BEHIND the bottom gear.

my snopsis was this, someoned never tightend the bottom bolt which worked out and jingled its way behind the gear. This in turn let the bottom gear walk out on the slines touching the cover.

I inspected the gears and chain and couldent find any obvious wear. Cleaned everything really well replaced the bolt and off and running. Total cost 2.40 for a grade 8 bolt and washer.

Moral of my story, If theres metal, pull it apart !

Oh......I used synthetic 75-140 gear lube. I have heard people useing ATF with good results as well !

good luck

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Funny you say that, I just pulled my chaincase cover last night on the edge. Lots of black oil at the bottom with metal shavings in it. I had my dealer do 19/43 gears with a new 74P chain 2 years ago. The bolt holding the 43 on wasn't tight at all. About finger tight actually. I took it off and saw there was no loctite on it. Went down to Ace and got a new Grade 8 bolt in the same size and used red loctite this time. Torqued down to 25 lb/ft. What weight ATF do you use donbrown?

I know how to break in a motor. Done it plenty on audi's. 80%+ of piston ring seal comes in the first 20 miles. I've always given it hell. Deceleration is as important as acceleration. synthetic is just too slippery for proper ring break-in. Guess I'm gonna have to really give the D8 hell to seat those rings properly with sythetic oil. Just not sure if I want to use VES gold on the edge break-in though since there is no warranty BS. I figure 1 tank of non synthetic would be good for a 2 stroke. That's why I was wondering about Royal purple break-in oil for sleds. If you can find that Motul joegoo let me know. Motul makes the best oil hands down.

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
As far as I'm concerned, if it is any kind of oil, as long as it has the same specs, it is the same oil!!! I have buddies that have been to the refineries for places like cenex and when they were filling oil jugs, they weren't just cenex jugs. there were all different brands coming out of the same place. Cenex, Polaris, Arctic Cat, ect. I'm sure there are other different oils out there, but if you have one that has the same specs as another that cost $5 more a gallon. It's the same stuff!!! My 2 cents. :beer;

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What weight ATF do you use donbrown?

I don't know if ATF comes in a weight.

I used to buy the best synthetic out there ... like Mobil One was $8.00 a quart.

Now I use the cheapest ATF out there cause I used the cheap stuff in a bind and see no different between the $1.50 bottle and $8.00 ATF after 1,000 miles on the sled.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
ATF weight

Funny you say that, I just pulled my chaincase cover last night on the edge. Lots of black oil at the bottom with metal shavings in it. I had my dealer do 19/43 gears with a new 74P chain 2 years ago. The bolt holding the 43 on wasn't tight at all. About finger tight actually. I took it off and saw there was no loctite on it. Went down to Ace and got a new Grade 8 bolt in the same size and used red loctite this time. Torqued down to 25 lb/ft. What weight ATF do you use donbrown?

I know how to break in a motor. Done it plenty on audi's. 80%+ of piston ring seal comes in the first 20 miles. I've always given it hell. Deceleration is as important as acceleration. synthetic is just too slippery for proper ring break-in. Guess I'm gonna have to really give the D8 hell to seat those rings properly with sythetic oil. Just not sure if I want to use VES gold on the edge break-in though since there is no warranty BS. I figure 1 tank of non synthetic would be good for a 2 stroke. That's why I was wondering about Royal purple break-in oil for sleds. If you can find that Motul joegoo let me know. Motul makes the best oil hands down.

believe it or not............... Most ATF is about 5 weight.

Dan

J
Mar 7, 2008
Motul oils are available from PARTS CANADA or PARTS UNLIMITED i think it is in the states. Look for snowtech it is semi synthetic. Any synthetic ester is or as the motul bottle says technosyn.

Premium Features