• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cutting down track

S

srosscojw

Nov 26, 2007
Kelowna BC
www.signcraft.ca
Use a Visa or Master card at Tracks USA. I have heard of people using a Table saw??? I dont think the end result is that great. You would have to cut it twice Once on either side.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
Cutting down lug height or track width?

Lugs- a good pair of tin snips. I did one last year and that worked the best.

Width- I had VanAmburg cut one for me. They use table saw with a special blade. I tried it myself on a big band saw, made it about 6 inches and stopped before I completely screwed it up. It's harder than you might think. They did a very good job, clean and straight. I ran it all last year and no problems.

Last edited:
F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
lug height...
sorry about that.

so tin snips works good then? i bet u have a forearm of a mofo :eek:
but seriously is that the best way to go about it?

on edit : just curious but what did van amburg charge to cut down the width?

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Get yourself a serrated blade like GINSU type knife and several cans of wd40. Spray each lug with the wd and slice it off at what ever height you wish...hot knife through butter. Also works great for shaping lugs because you have complete control of the cutting tool unlike a sawsall or power tools. Very clean very easy...the secret is the sauce! YOU CANNOT USE TOO MUCH WD40!

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
lol alrighty! just raid the steak knife set and go to town then. im guessing one with pretty fine teeth and thats heavy duty.

Thanks!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I use Game scissors...for cleaning/gutting animals. I cut down ALL of my tracks to 2.25. The stiffer lug has always worked better for me. I will try the WD40 trick on my new track.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
If you are sneaky she won't even know what you did to it! That WD40 smell is a bit rough to work out of it. Mine got relagated to the shop tools because I got CAUGHT! I also cut up a few more tracks then your regular joe sledder so it was necessary sacrefice for the kitchen to make! Wash your clutches in the dishwasher too..they love that!

H
Jan 9, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I've cut down two tracks and I used a utility knife both times. Works great and not as hard as you would think. Keep a new sharp blade in it and cut with the cutting edge angled to 45* towards yourself. Took me thrty mins to do a buddies 2.5" extreme last year.

B
Sep 16, 2008
OK,

So I've got myself one of them there Assaults with the skidsteer track and would like an alternative track more appropriate for the hills with snow between the stumps, ledges, and gravel. Tracks USA only appear to have a 1.75 Ripsaw option, and I believe you need to get the center punched for the extrovert. I would prefer a 2-2.5 PowderMax or equivalent lightweight track but they only appear available in 16" for the XP.

So the question is, can the 16" wide XP tracks be cut down to fit the Assault? Are the drivers the same? I know they are both 2.86" pitch, but what about the extrovert center? Just how wide could you leave it to fit the Assault tunnel? Are there any risks of running the narrowed tracks?

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I don't know what kind of riding you most encounter but I think you will find the assault track is not that bad for average all around mtn free riding. Not bad versus alot better is two different things. If I had an assault coming I would have trimmed the track lugs from the tips out (just sharpen em up) to both lighten and soften the end of the paddle for a slightly higher flex. The assault track is flat out designed to WIN hillclimb races in the stock catagory. 2.12" and a slightly softer tip might end up being a really good all around free ride formula. I'd go that route way before I'd narrow that doo track.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
lug height...
sorry about that.

so tin snips works good then? i bet u have a forearm of a mofo :eek:
but seriously is that the best way to go about it?

on edit : just curious but what did van amburg charge to cut down the width?

I started with a blade then tried the snips. I'm telling you, the snips are much easier to get a good straight cut with. Not as tough as you might think. Just use a good set.
I think it was around $100 to cut the track. I was impressed how good it turned out.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I just trimmed the lugs on my 2" down to about 1.5" or so with a skilsaw and some WD-40 and it worked great. Good thin kerf blades do the trick well. And just took a grinder and buzzed some notches like how it was new. Stiffer lugs and should work awesome! :)

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Track Cutting

I just did the track on my '08 700 Dragon. Got some great directions and pics from F-Bomb. I used a serrated blade from a broken electric carving knife and WD-40. Made a template from an old license plate to keep a uniform lug height, layed it across the lug and sliced away. Took me a little over an hour for a 155 track. I cut just below the curl of the nub--about 1/4 in. If you don't have an old serrated knife and don't want to get on your wife's s-list, go to the Dollar Store and you can buy a serrated bread knife for a buck.

Premium Features