• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge drive shaft bearing failure clutch side

V
Feb 14, 2008
Boise
I found the drive shaft bearing on the clutch side had failed on my 02 Edge. I'd rather not have to buy another drive shaft if possible.
My question is if this thing is toast?... or could i throw another bearing at it with a new speedo bushing??

I'm leaning towards the "it's toast" and hoping there's no problems on the chaincase side, but thought I'd ask some folks who've been there and done that. What do you think from looking at the pics below?

Thanks!

IMG00136.jpg IMG00139.jpg

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Sorry but it's hard to tell much from the pic's. You need a new bearing either way so first thing I'd do is clean & then polish the shaft with emory 400 paper. Then slip on a new bearing to see if the shaft is worn too much to use. The fit needs to be snug so the lock collar doesn't tweak the bearing on the shaft. Chain case side is probably OK.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
I just had to replace one for a guy this weekend on a 02 edge 600. The shaft was worn just a little bit and i built it up with the welder and cleaned the shaft until the bearing fit snug. Seemed to work great and the guy didn't want to spend a pile of money. Bearing, speedo key way and clutch buttons $47 not to bad

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
what he said i had the same break down and you need to remove the shaft and take to a machine shop/person and they will weld on it and then lathe it back to specs for the new bearing if its not a sled shop then take the new bearing in with the shaft and then they can use the bearing to measure the diamiter it needs to be a PRESSED ON FIT and you will probably need to take the drivers off i did so mark the shaft good so they can be put back the same also check the other bearing while your in there but they usally last well with the case oil right there

oh yeah don't forget to put the inside flange on befor the bearing or the drivers cause if you do you have to press the bearing back off (been there done that) good luck

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
That greese zirt is worthless unless you pull out the outer seal from the bearing. It is sealed so there is almost no way for that bearing to get any usable amount of greese into it. I had the same failure on my 03 escape with less than 1200mi on it and yes I kept it greased. Replaced the bearing removed the seal and have had no problems since. I lost the bearing the 1st year I owned the sled 02-03 season.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Just like desperado stated "sealed bearing" the grease helps very little. A new $25 bearing and 30 mins of work per year is pretty cheap insurance. You already gotta grease and prep everything else, might as well spend 30 extra mins for assurance.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Bearing

If that shaft is worn too much for a press fit and you don't want to weld it up them you can go to the old style bearing that has a lock collar. They are available from bearing supply houses and John Deere dealers. I lost one on a storm and went to the lock collar design. Pulling that seal should be the norm.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
The grease zirt does work and is their for a reason. There is holes in the outer part of the bearing to alow grease to get into it. So keep on using your grease guns.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Wasilla, AK
The grease zirt does work and is their for a reason. There is holes in the outer part of the bearing to alow grease to get into it. So keep on using your grease guns.

I aint saying "DON"T GREASE"! I'm just saying that they are sealed bearing and only a very little amount of grease gets into them when greasing. You are doing yourself a favor to just replace the bearing every year or every other year for cheap insurance.

V
Feb 14, 2008
Boise
I got the driveshaft out, and the drivers look ok to me, but I'm a noob. Does anyone think these drivers need replaced or do I have a couple more seasons on these? Pics aren't exactly hi-res...sorry.

Thanks again.

IMG00168.jpg IMG00169.jpg IMG00170.jpg

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Nothing wrong with those drivers that I can see from the pics. I'm surprised they look that good actually. I've seen worse.

Premium Features