• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help on fire n ice intake kit for 900 rmk

B
Aug 10, 2008
I want to get rid of the huge air box, but im not sure how the fire n ice kit works, I see the combo kit for $45.00 and I also saw a kit for $250. Im wondering if the kit for 45.00 is just vents.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I would call fire n ice to ask the difference.

Since we / I don't see what you see then can't decipher what you see.

Will take a guess though.

The $250 is for the air plenum , belt guard and hardware to mount the plenum and install / rivet a belt guard in place.

If you just get the above kit buy a Polaris rubber air gasket connecting from the air plenum to the bottom air intake. You know that pain in the hands rubber seal that is hard to put on.

He does have one accessory for this ... basically it is the hose clamps and hoses to connect to the throttle body. This skit is basically new hoses shorter than the other to try and get the air plenum away from the exhaust pipe. It shifts it away and into the body ... so I hade to cut the body panel.

This is based on my purchase from fire n ice.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I want to get rid of the huge air box, but im not sure how the fire n ice kit works, I see the combo kit for $45.00 and I also saw a kit for $250. Im wondering if the kit for 45.00 is just vents.

the $250 one is a whole new airbox.
the $45 one is the combo vents that you should get as well so you can flow
more air through the new box

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For more reasons than I can type here... don't get the SLP, Fabcraft, Vanamburg (if they still make it) or Timbersled intake for your Sled if you can avoid it.

I also recommend a bumper for the frontend of your sled to protect your investment.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Also,

The stock airbox works well (but weighs about 4 lbs more than the FNI)

IF

You put an additional piece of curved aluminum on the bottom to protect from belt breakage and run side panel, shock tower and rear vents on the clutch side... also run the FNI Combo AND windshied intake screens with this setup.

The FNI parts are TOP notch, Paul Hurley, the owner is a great guy to deal with and really puts a lot into his customer service!!

Good luck with your build

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have a 2005 900 that I bought used. It had an aftermarket intake on it already. It plugs up a lot in powder or if you’re behind someone on the trail. The intake is located right in the nose area and is very difficult to keep cleared off. I have looked at web sites/pictures and determined it is not Fabcraft, SLP or Timbersled.
I think it may be Van Amburg??? It is one-piece metal from the throttle bodies going forward to the nose area and has inlets on the top and bottom. I don’t recommend it at all. I would like to get something new but all the ones I saw use part of the stock intake which I don’t have any more.

I guess this doesn't help you with your question, maybe some one will be able to help me on what I have and what I can do.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Dartos,

You have to bite the bullet and get the stock "boost box" for the sled...a bit pricey at $130, but I think your engine will be happier... the front mount airbox's put a lot of stress on the throttle body boots, especially when you have weak mounts...

Sounds like you have a VanAmburg box... great quality stuff, but, IMO not the ideal place to mount it...

For the FNI, you also need to have the stock "shelf" that sits below the headlight still installed on your sled...

IMO... Go thru the expense of running the FNI, take the opportunity to remove the Throttle bodies, clean the reed cages, check the oiler cable, replace the throttle body boots if cracked... this is cheap compared to the time and expense of motor rebuild/replacement...

M
Feb 5, 2008
MN
yea don't get the slp airbox, i have one on my 900 and it sux cuz the pow comes in through the front vents on the bottom of the hood and plugs up the airflow for the slp airbox kit in the front, i always have to stop once in a while and clean it out

B
Aug 10, 2008
air box

I heard gutting out the stock air box and putting on some fni side panels works good, but you still have the weight of the stock air box.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
i have been using the slp air intake (900 rmk) for 6000 km's and with noss
never had it bog or plug in the snow. I ride in lots and lots of powder.
some time so much powder i cant breath threw my helmet. but the sled keeps
going and going with out bogging go figure?

M
Feb 5, 2008
MN
i have been using the slp air intake (900 rmk) for 6000 km's and with noss
never had it bog or plug in the snow. I ride in lots and lots of powder.
some time so much powder i cant breath threw my helmet. but the sled keeps
going and going with out bogging go figure?

I have nitrous on my 900 too and don't have any problems with it either, i was jus saying ONCE in a while i have to stop and clear it out, for some reason on my sled the snow likes to come through and collect in front of my slp airbox and my hood seals good and my screens on the bottom of my hood are in perfect shape

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
dmj1.... check the top AND bottom of your throttle body boots for cracking and also for dirt injestion on the reeds..

i check the boots regularly and they are fine.
i have never seen dirt on the reeds nor are there signs of dirt going threw
the motor.i did how ever put extra gasket material between the 2 halves of air box.wouldn't the in take boots crack more from the engine flexing? ie torque stop broken or engine mounts gone?? since the air box is solid mount.
i also put more of a heat shield over throttle bodies and boots. I believe heat from y pipe will speed up the cracking of the boots.just my observations.:D

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
Same problem. Mine is slp. and my bumper is destroyed. ahh

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
IS FnI selling this intake again?

Will it work with the full SLP pipe?

I had the t-sled intake and really had to horse with it to get it offset right so it didn't rub up against the pipe .... and quite frankly it's BS the way the t-sled intake mounts up to the stock plenum.

Premium Features