• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP performance edition IQ 800...

I
Sep 17, 2008
rocky mountains
That performance edition package for the 800 RAW sounds really good, If anyone is planning on trying or has been around one, please let me know what you think. I love the numbers they are claiming.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
That performance edition package for the 800 RAW sounds really good, If anyone is planning on trying or has been around one, please let me know what you think. I love the numbers they are claiming.
Something to consider is the availability of fuel without Ethanol...SLP doesn't have a fuel map for Eth so recommend 1 gal of race fuel with 4 gal Ethanol. Most areas still have good 91 Octane Premium but for how long? In our area Chevron just went Eth.

G

GONRIDIN

Something to consider is the availability of fuel without Ethanol...SLP doesn't have a fuel map for Eth so recommend 1 gal of race fuel with 4 gal Ethanol. Most areas still have good 91 Octane Premium but for how long? In our area Chevron just went Eth.

This is only true on the 2008. The 09 has an e10 map and SLP may heve more info on it by now.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
This is only true on the 2008. The 09 has an e10 map and SLP may heve more info on it by now.

The info I quote came from Jim Fairchild of SLP, 8 days ago! They do not have an Ethanol map. The 09 has 2 maps but SLP remaps the ECU when they do the Millenium kit. Either stock map would be too lean.

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
The info I quote came from Jim Fairchild of SLP, 8 days ago! They do not have an Ethanol map. The 09 has 2 maps but SLP remaps the ECU when they do the Millenium kit. Either stock map would be too lean.

Now I wounder how many will get there sleds to be wirred for ethanol,
from what I am hearing the ethanol map will tune down , who wants that?
Ron am I missing somthing , and I would only guess your sled will not be set up to run ethanol. Who buys a dragon 800 to not rip to it's fullest..:eek:

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Now I wounder how many will get there sleds to be wirred for ethanol,
from what I am hearing the ethanol map will tune down , who wants that?
Ron am I missing somthing , and I would only guess your sled will not be set up to run ethanol. Who buys a dragon 800 to not rip to it's fullest..:eek:

You lose about 3.4% power with Ethanol & less mpg's so not a good idea but in some cases it may be the only option for fuel??? I'm guessing that SLP & Carl's will take advantage of the dual fuel map on the 09's by doing the same with the remap for Twin pipes or the Performance Edition proting. Just that-right now they have only one map for non ETH so need good fuel or add some race fuel. Twins need 4/1 race fuel anyway but may need more with Eth. I'm going to buy enough fuel (91 Non Eth) to get me through the winter as soon as temps come down a little more, since heat degrades fuel faster.
Maybe if we quit buying Eth fuel, gas stations will get the message. In the states the Govt subsidy makes Eth cheaper.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some states dont even require the station to tell you there is ethanol in the mix... I'll be buying an ethanol tester for my road trips...

Good Info Herer guys....

Ron, does Jack keep the bi-mapped option on the BB kits for the 09 ecu's??

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If you buy your gas at ~8500ft or higher elevations in Colorado there is no ethanol in the gas.....other than that I have no clue where to get non eth gas on the flat lands. Could you plug the eth wires together on the 09 D8 and use 90/10 gas/eth mix if you added a gal or two of 104oct? I'd think that would be safe and not run lean while still making more power in the process...

G

GONRIDIN

Sounds like that was the more info.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Looking to put the performance edition kit in my 09 163... Jim at SLP said 09 has lower compression head and would not require race mix for twins. Not sure on performance edition kit. Currently running their single pipe and airbox mod with good results.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
No race gas mix for twin's on the 09's??? Is the slp air box cone part still made out of thin plastic like on the Edge's? The one on my edge has taken a beating over the last few years. Plastic needs to be thicker...

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
The no race gas kit is high elevation for twins.....

Having now tried both the ecu's I run the Carl's kit with their clutching. Mo better! In the defense of the SLP ecu...it was on a different helix and spring combo than they use so maybe theirs with their clutching is better then we tried. Initially it was what I thought was fine or great. NOW IT's "REALLY" great...and that is good! Um... used to be a big fan of the single setup and no race gas....now the hassle of 2.5 gallons to 10.5 is just fine with me because I felt the "drug":D.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Rob, you are running the twins now? If so is this the equivilant of the full Car'ls package that anyone can buy or some special upgrades?

One more.. How does it run with the 860?

Thanks!

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
Slp performance pkge.

I'm running the full slp performace package from slp in my 08 800 163 .
Last weekend was the first time I could actually compare it, great snow , and we had clear skys in the afternoon ,it was deep and many untracked hills.
I loved it , great clutching thanks to Snow jw .
The sled just has that edge , enough to keep you grinning ...:D
Working with Justin (snow jw)and Dustin from slp they taylor made this complete kit , very impressed so far... thaks guys.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Yes head/twins/reeds on the 09 800 with the 2.5 gallons of 110 to the tank and I've been running 10% ethonal with no problems. Ran good with SLP but it had a slight bobble sometimes when it had long long full throttle in deep snow. Have not ported this one yet but that was the original plan for it. Still wondering if we will spend the time on that as this is pretty impressive as is. It's no 860 but it's really really good as is. This weekend we will get more time with this sled and another setup that is exactly alike but with porting. That should give a pretty good feel for the value of porting. The report on that sled is slightly slower then the single 860. Now Jack Struthers has worked some more on the 860 maps both single and twin and they are supposed to be doing very very well. This non ported 800 was run with the ported version last week in very deep heavy snow and I felt like the ported was far better but we were still on the other ECU and didn't use what Carl's feels are a better weight package. Still kind of tuning and getting to know this 800. Changed to the Carls ECU and to me it felt much much better but once again no real test bed sled to compare so that is not absolute...seemed faster and had no bobble at all...so that much we know is a plus.

FYI there are two 860 twin pipers ready to go from Carls...08 version sleds with lots of candy for $13,000ish. Big savings over an 09 with an 860! Both were test bed sleds and have about 200ish miles. I spent time on one last year at the end and it was VERY IMPRESSIVE...now Jack says even better with more refinements.

I'm anxious to spend some more comparison time on all of these sleds but we just can't all seem to be in the same spot at the same time. Working on it and I'll let you know as it developes.

Premium Features