• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Protection plan

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Buyer Beware...Polaris was pretty clear with there wording but at a quick read you will go to the price list and see that it shows a 2 year coverage package for 600.00 ......well.....if you go right in to buy it without reading everything(you can purchase it from your dealer).....as thats a good deal for the most part...you will find out that that two years (or more depending on package) are "inclusive" of your first year warranty...so since you already paid for that when you bought the sled you are really only getting a one year service contract for the extra 600.

Polaris spells it out fine in there wording but the price list is what most people look at and IMHO it is a bit of a marketing trickery. They should have just called it what it is...one year as I dont see how they can say two yeas for a certain price since you already paid for the first year of coverage anyway.....must have been written by an attorney.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Thanks for the insight. I think alot of companies even outside of the powersports industry try that kind of stuff. I had friends that worked for Sears and said they are required to try and sell the extended warranty, but you really shouldn't do it. I guess it really doesn't do anything more than what standard warranty would.
Sorta shady that they try to scam off of the people who don't read the fine print. I'm easily agitated with paperwork (ever buy a house?) especially when buying something. I would be guilty of not reading the fine print, but I never buy extended anything anymore.

G

gcmci

Nov 21, 2007
Springfield,Oregon
www.gregcoenmc.com
Most any extended warranty is worded that way but one burndown or major electrical failure and the x$ are worth it if you are useing the item alot, if it isn't getting used alot the xwarranties are not worth it.I have gotten people alot of $'s back on Harley's x warranty far more then what they payed.I haven't had to do any Poo stuff yet.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Most any extended warranty is worded that way but one burndown or major electrical failure and the x$ are worth it if you are useing the item alot, if it isn't getting used alot the xwarranties are not worth it.I have gotten people alot of $'s back on Harley's x warranty far more then what they payed.I haven't had to do any Poo stuff yet.
I totally agree...it doesnt take much to hit a 600 dollar price tag with many dealer service rates in excess of 100 dollars per hour. Funny thing is that for some kid to work on a two strok snowmobile the labor rate is only slightly below what it takes a very well trained and certified field service engineer to work on a Xray system at a hospital.

I had an extended warr. on my 03 Indian Chief and darn good thing..two blown head gaskets..one starter(Chrome) and one full motor rebuild..

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend

They are ALL that way!!!:eek:

However I am a firm beleiver in extended service contracts on my vehicles. I bought one on my Powerstroke and it bought me a new tranny when it went south!:D

But beware of your specific dealer on these as well. Especially the powersports delaers as they try and charge you extra "labor" for work the factory is already paying them for!:mad:

Ive seen this locally here quite often!!

Premium Features