• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 wide on a edge rmk???

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Want to put a 16 wide on my wife's 144 to give her a little more floatation with out adding length so it handles about the same as it does now. I did a search and nothing I know some guys have done this in the past if I put a thick washer on each side of the rear suspension is that enough room? I'm sure I'll have to gring some rivets here and there is there any other issues??

Thanks

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
what he said grind rivets and spread tunnel with washers and make sure that the drivers are dead nuts that will help with the rub they do seem to float better i love mine

H
Jan 9, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I've got an 03 rmk that I put a 16 wide on and it worth every cuss word and fit you throw while installing. First off make sure your drivers are dead nut's center but extended outward (in the clips/rubber drive lugs) as far as possible. This will keep your track from from wandering side to side. Only grind the few rivets that are in the path of the track in the front of the tunnel near the front torque arm and drivers. Instead of using washers to widen the tunnel I bought some aluminum bar stock and made two new torque arm shafts. The front torque arm shaft I made 1/4" longer than stock and the rear torque arm shaft I made 3/8" longer. The reason I only did a 1/4" in the front is because of the stress it puts on the tunnel and how much I had to spread the tunnel. BTW a bottle jack works well for spreading the tunnel, just make sure you use a block of wood or something to distribute the pressure on the jack. :beer; :beer; :beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
As it works out, I just put a 16" track under my '04 Edge. I put 3-5/16 washers on each side on the front suspension and 2 in the rear on each side. Also used a Dremel to grind down a few rivets that may be in the path of the track. Seems to be sufficient clearance on each side now. Can't wait to try it out.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for all the reply's great advice I think I have found a track.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
another to note is the clearance on a edge with a 16'' is almost the same as the clearance on the new sleds with 15''

Premium Features