• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Union bay?

C

cole_151

Dec 27, 2007
Grand meadow,MN
I know the polaris big twins have crank problems so when you see these vertical edges and escapes with big union bay motors do these hold up or are they just a top end on a bad crank can anyone help me?

A
Nov 26, 2007
The big union bay twins have there own cranks in them. The Polaris crank thing is not that bad any how. Now 05 900 they have crank issues.

it would be fastrac now but most of these still use the 800 crank from polaris the way to do a big twin is to have indy dan build a crank for you and then do your big bore there are some union bay engines for sale on here rmkboxer has one that is good or you can go with carls 910 but have the crank checked or rebuilt first get ahold of fastracs on here another builder is enginetech

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Here ya go, Ask Curt, he's an awesome guy to deal with, knows his stuff and easy to talk to.

Edit: this is also fastrax on here....

Curt@Fastrax Motorsports,LLC./ Union Bay Racing
phone: 253-848-0908
fax: 253-848-3559
e-mail: tricksleds@hotmail.com
WWW.FTXMOTORSPORTS.COM
2105 Inter Ave. Ste. C
Puyallup,WA 98372

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Here ya go, Ask Curt, he's an awesome guy to deal with, knows his stuff and easy to talk to.

Edit: this is also fastrax on here....

Curt@Fastrax Motorsports,LLC./ Union Bay Racing
phone: 253-848-0908
fax: 253-848-3559
e-mail: tricksleds@hotmail.com
WWW.FTXMOTORSPORTS.COM
2105 Inter Ave. Ste. C
Puyallup,WA 98372

X 2!!!!!

Curt really knows his stuff, since he is now dealing in union bay stuff since mark went on to do other things!

It seems that Indy Dan knows the 800 poo bottom ends and has them working great! If you are gunna do the bottom end of a big block poo, indy specialties is where its at!

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
We do build the 900 billet twin from the 800 bottom end but are VERY picky about bottom end prep before we build on it. Indy Dan knows his stuff and I would build on one of his bottom ends no problem. We also insist the motor is mounted on a PLATE, not straps, and is tied down with fresh mounts and at least 1 additional torque stop( 3 total preferrably). We can supply fresh cranks/cases and line boring/honing if you don't use Dan. By the way we jump through all the same hoops on a stocker or mild mod 800 also for the same reasons. Also we highly stress using plenty of oil ...32:1 .
Follow those guidelines and you will have a motor that lives a happy life!

By the way, we did a limited build of 900's this year...only a couple left!(shameless plug!)

curt

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Don't worry about the cranks, stock or not. When you assemble make sure you have cases that are in tolerance and assemble with a non-bridging sealant. I have 9,500 miles on a UBR900 I've been running since 2004. When I hit the 3,000 mile mark I check the cases (line bore if needed)and drop in a fresh factory crankshaft. The PTO end of the crank is usually out of tolerance at 3,000 miles. I have also run about 140 lbs of nitrous through this motor without a crank failure of any kind.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Don't worry about the cranks, stock or not. When you assemble make sure you have cases that are in tolerance and assemble with a non-bridging sealant. I have 9,500 miles on a UBR900 I've been running since 2004. When I hit the 3,000 mile mark I check the cases (line bore if needed)and drop in a fresh factory crankshaft. The PTO end of the crank is usually out of tolerance at 3,000 miles. I have also run about 140 lbs of nitrous through this motor without a crank failure of any kind.

Sheesh!! we need to buy that one back and hang it on the wall!! lol!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I'm not kidding Curt, I don't have reason to update and plan on running it a few more seasons. Just make sure you keep those pistons in stock. 50 rides a year is the norm when you live at the base of a great mountain.

Premium Features