• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05'-08' Front bumper retro

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
05'-08' New bumper addition for polaris sleds with no purchasing of new plastics or significant cutting of old plastics to install.

As I posted on another thread, I've placed pics and explanation of new bumper retro for the Polaris 05'-08' weak bumper design on my other Polaris thread (06' 900 Rebuild) page 3. Please go take a peak and feel free to respond with any comments or questions.
We would sure appreciate any input!! :).
If anyone knows how to move a post from another thread please tell me so I can move the bumper info from 06 900 to this thread.

Thanx
-T

Front view
Sled Build 011.jpg

We will be adding makes, models and years with this same basic design as needed and time allows.

Last edited:
C
Feb 28, 2008
Hmmmmm. Maybe.

First off, NICE JOB. Hats off to you guys for fabbing this. That said, I'm not 100% convinced I'd personally buy it for "mid $200's" as you wrote in the other post...

The only reason: My strong preference would be for a similar setup that eliminates the plastic front bumper rather than doubling it...strictly from a finished appearance standpoint. I'm not sure how long it would take for the "double-bumper" look to grow on me, or if it ever would.

But it sure looks very functional and protective. And frankly I think as an alternative to the TCP, it's a very good one and priced appropriately. But if someone (TCP, Skinz, you guys) comes up with a nice looking similar bumper that actually fully REPLACES the plastic one instead of just reinforcing it, without huge cut-ups and $400+ price tags? That's sorta what I'm waiting for. And maybe I'll be waiting for a LONG time. But based on several posts here it sounds like both TCP and Skinz are actually working on such a thing, so maybe not so long afterall.

So you asked for market research? There's my thoughts on it. Again this is in no way a putdown, just my honest first blow impression. I'm really impressed you took the time to fab something like this up, and it does look very strong and functional, and extremely easy to install, all of which are high priorities for many people here. But I personally am a little lukewarm on final appearance with the double-bumper, that's my only concern. But I am only one person. Other opinions will vary...

Hopefully this input helps a little.

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Hmmmmm. Maybe.

I'm not sure how long it would take for the "double-bumper" look to grow on me, or if it ever would.

Hey thanx craze1, this is the feedback were looking for! :beer;
Here is a quick different unfinished view of bumper from the front.
I'll be posting more pics when the sled is completed this weekend.

Sled Build 006.jpg

C
Feb 28, 2008
Hey thanx craze1, this is the feedback were looking for! :beer;
Here is a quick different unfinished view of bumper from the front.
I'll be posting more pics when the sled is completed this weekend.

View attachment 27172

Well now from THAT angle, it frankly looks much better! Maybe if powdercoated black so it blends more with all the black plastic...I'm starting to think maybe the orange/red color threw me off in some of your other pics...I'm more of a jet black/minimalist graphics and colors guy myself. I even like the bare aluminum look over the bright color version. But I'm among the people who bought an 08 Dragon and frankly I hate how it looks because of the ugly and stupid Dragon graphics package Poo slapped on it...

So with that last photo, I'm already warming up to it. But I also still thinking there's no point in leaving the plastic original bumper there, except obviously there's huge holes that would be left behind if it were to be removed and the damn thing actually holds the fenders and the hood on. I do TOTALLY understand how these front ends are constructed (STUPIDLY...thanks, Polaris!) and the complications of working around that stupid construction for fabricators like yourself. So in terms of simplicity and functionality, you no doubt have a winner...still a bit unsure from an appearance standpoint. But obviously my opinion is in the minority here based on the other responses.

It's sounding to me like if you build it, they will come...good luck!

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
i want one but i just bought a 05 900 so i want to ride it first to make sure i want to keep it before i put any money into it. great job though

There are some basic upgrades / mods to wake up the 900 RMK BEFORE IT IS WORTH RIDING.

N
Nov 2, 2004
Michigan Flats
You wouldnt happen to have a pic with the new bumper on and the original off do you? Just wondering what I would have to do to remedy the original bumper holes. As Im also still having trouble warming up to having two bumpers. But the second picture does look alot better from that angle.
Looks like good craftsmanship, good work.

Mark

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Well now from THAT angle, it frankly looks much better! Maybe if powdercoated black so it blends more with all the black plastic...I'm starting to think maybe the orange/red color threw me off in some of your other pics...I'm more of a jet black/minimalist graphics and colors guy myself. I even like the bare aluminum look over the bright color version. But I'm among the people who bought an 08 Dragon and frankly I hate how it looks because of the ugly and stupid Dragon graphics package Poo slapped on it...

So with that last photo, I'm already warming up to it. But I also still thinking there's no point in leaving the plastic original bumper there, except obviously there's huge holes that would be left behind if it were to be removed and the damn thing actually holds the fenders and the hood on. I do TOTALLY understand how these front ends are constructed (STUPIDLY...thanks, Polaris!) and the complications of working around that stupid construction for fabricators like yourself. So in terms of simplicity and functionality, you no doubt have a winner...still a bit unsure from an appearance standpoint. But obviously my opinion is in the minority here based on the other responses.

It's sounding to me like if you build it, they will come...good luck!

Hey craze1, yeah the flash on the camera made mine look a little orange. But I made mine red to stand out and match my rebuild color. I believe we'll offer this in a wrinkled black color to match the body fender color and texture.
Also option for raw so you might polish or powder any color you like. If people ask custom colors might be an option with a little extra $.
Yhanx
-T

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
You wouldnt happen to have a pic with the new bumper on and the original off do you? Just wondering what I would have to do to remedy the original bumper holes. As Im also still having trouble warming up to having two bumpers. But the second picture does look alot better from that angle.
Looks like good craftsmanship, good work.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanx for the inquiry. I'll take a pic for you without front bumber attached, but that kinda defeats my entire thought process to supply a product that needs no other companion products for install. I believe we paid enough for these sleds not to use all the stock features!! We played around with your idea but those holes are huge and at very funny angles. Tough for a lumber salesman to think in plastics (lol).
Again my bumper is to match my rebuild project, but when this is powdered textured black its gonna look like stock, if you even notice it. But you'll sure notice it when your stuck and pulling!! :D

Thanx
-T

B

BROX

Nov 27, 2007
WA
But you'll sure notice it when your stuck and pulling!! :D

Thanx
-T

Great job, looks very nice.

I just have one concern, being able to lift/pull on the double bumper when stuck up to my waist. With the double thickness it seems like it might be hard to get a good grip around both of them when wet and slippery because the diameter is so big.

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Great job, looks very nice.

I just have one concern, being able to lift/pull on the double bumper when stuck up to my waist. With the double thickness it seems like it might be hard to get a good grip around both of them when wet and slippery because the diameter is so big.

I understand your concern. The tubing is 3/4" and fits under the stock bumper approx 1/8" to 1/4" to only add a total of 1 more inch to grab around. The extended tubing sides,(3/4") around the pan however will still be availiable for you to push and pull on. They will extend approx 6" past the original bumper on the same angle as the bellypan.
I have been thinking about the slippery problem, and this is exactly why I've posted for feedback before production begins.

Thanx
-T

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Decision Time

Alright guys,

I appologize I havent responded to price and avalibilty yet today, but theres a few issues that have had to be addressed to come to a decision. With the SW intrest and excellent feedback so far, along with some local interest, I think we've decide to put this concept bumper into production. I've got to get my ducks in a row with some buisness type stuff, protection and production issues you know. Therefore it's gonna take a couple days to get things in motion.

Being a sales guy in my real life I've tried to lead my life and my buisness by one saying, DON'T HAVE AN ALLIGATORS MOUTH WITH A CANARYS A **!!

What this means is when I say I'm going to be able to come through with ths product I will deliver, so give me a week to get organized and I will start taking orders on Monday Sept, 29th. By then I might only be able to have produced 10-20 units ready to ship the first full week of October 6th, after I post on Mon 29th, READY TO SELL!!
We will not rob peter to pay paul so first come first serve will be in affect!!

We should be able to start going for broke after that. :)

The price is still being figured from production end, however we are still looking in the mid to upper $200, range which will include shipping for this price. I should be able to post a hard cost early next week. If we can streamline our current system we will pass the savings on to the customers.

Just remember with this system you will not have to buy any other plastic upgrades or destroy any that you've already paid for in the original purchase of your sled. :D

Again thanx for your interest and feedback so far please keep it coming!! We are hoping to produce a premium product for a realistic price!! I hope you'll agree and we look forward to servicing you with anything we can.

Thanx
Toby Garcia & Tim Adams
(Treedog) & (Snowballs)

Premium Features