• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

any ups or downs?

C

cole_151

Dec 27, 2007
Grand meadow,MN
thinking about buying a 2005 rmk 900. Does anyone know of any down sides to them. are they easy to mod out? how reliable are the motors once you start building them up and so on?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Try search using the SEARCH feature on the toolbar. There is endless info available.

In a nutshell, if the crank and piston problems have been adressed all is pretty well. 06 had upgraded pistons but same old bad crank.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i'd take the vertical escape. i rode an 05 900 for three seasons. first year it had the slp performance package on it and ran just fine... second year i was climbing a hill the chaincase cover got hot warped chaine locked up and sled rolled 40 some times to the bottom.... last season the crank blew in november, got it back and it blew again... then it stuck a piston, and then through a rod bearing..... my sled worked great for the first two years and i loved it. but it was the sled from hell last year. some people have good luck and a lot of people dont. imo i would stay away from it and go with the vertical escape

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
one of the sleds in our group is a ported and piped 03 escape... and runs really good, havent had any issues with it yet

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Both of the sleds you mention require an "education"

I love my 900's but I've put WAY too much time to understand them.

If you could find a good used 2006 900 RMK, with full Holz suspensions, skis, bumper, risers, steering delete, FNI airbox, vents, torque stops, mounts, clutch and gearing mods, etc etc..... AND one of INDY Dans bottom ends,.... WICKED sled... Stump pulling torque and best bang for the buck 975 kit (a 900 RMK is actually 866cc's).

An 07 Dragon 700 would be a better choice for a "turn key" durable sled and would have comparable power to the 800 edge but have the better ergos and handling of the IQ chassis... a proven platform.... for not too much more coin.

Just my 2 cents

Premium Features