• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 polaris 900 RMK problems

S
Feb 15, 2008
I'm dealing on a 2005 900 RMK, I have heard from some riders the 900 has overheating and vibration problems, Could all you 900 RMK guys please give me the real story, I would like to have piece of mind before I buy. Thanks Guys

N

Newfy

Jan 13, 2008
GooseBay, Newfoundland&Labrador
Well I bought mine this fall and have 900km on it this season, I have never had a temp problem ( well she gets a little warm on hard packed, but thats normal ) And as for vibrations there are some but nothing big, and I really only feel them when again im on the hard packed. I love mine just wish I could get the top end up.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Vibration in minimal and varies depending on the sled.

Most people remove the factory radiator and only run the rear cooler. This really isn't enough cooling power for the 900 engine. In powder it's completely fine, but on the hardpack you have to run scratchers to get enough snow in the skid and on the rear cooler. It's not a big deal, I just know that when I get back on the trail, I've got to drop a scratcher, where most sleds have enough cooling power to not need scratchers.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
check the VIN to see the factory updates were done

We love our 05 900's they have been good to us
With over 1000 miles on both of ours I have had to do some work to them and throw some parts at them, but I dont mind.
Because of the 900 we were able to get two IQ chasis sleds with 159" tracks, another 96 tripple 600 and a trailer all for under $10K

You cannot beat that IMO
I dont have any vibration problems, my wife drives a 900 159 and she has never complained about vibrations or anything of this nature

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Have the 06 900 RMK and the 07 700 dragon.

The vibration of the 900 is NOTICABLE. It really vibrates your feet. Anyone saying they don't notice it may not have compared it to others. In comparison the 700 has no vibration like this at all.

Running hot is an issue, especially when you remove the front radiator. Did this for this season at the recommendation of others to save the weight. Now it is always running at 160-170 unless on powder. With all the powder earlier this season it stayed about 150. Now that we are into hardpack it climbs all the time. I have to keep packing the sides and back. The engine temp light has come on way too often. Never had this before removing the front radiator.

Stopping to pack snow is a waste of time.

I am adding back the front radiator this next season and getting it back where it belongs in the running temps.

Overall it is a great sled. Hard on turning since it wants to push forward with the 159 track and all that power behind it. Look at upgrading the skis to better turning ones.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
Mine vibrates but I'm used to it and I think it's only noticeable at slower speeds and when I have my feet right in the footwells. Last year the sled would run around 135 and up depending on trail or off trail. I took the rad out this year and now I'm running low 120's unless I'm on hardpack and forget to put the scratchers down.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I'm dealing on a 2005 900 RMK, I have heard from some riders the 900 has overheating and vibration problems, Could all you 900 RMK guys please give me the real story, I would like to have piece of mind before I buy. Thanks Guys

On some of the sleds with the front radiator the coolant doesn't run completely through the system, SLP has a restrictor to put in the coolant line to force the coolant through both the radiator and the tunnel.

If the radiator is removed, you will need scratchers to keep the sled cool on the trails.

As for vibration, everybody has there own opinion on how bad it is. But with a balanced clutch and good motor mounts it's minimized.

S
Feb 15, 2008
2005 Rmk 900

Thanks to all you 900 guys, the responses were greatly appreciated. I will now go ahead and deal on the 2005 900. Thanks again and good riding.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Running hot is an issue, especially when you remove the front radiator. Did this for this season at the recommendation of others to save the weight. Now it is always running at 160-170 unless on powder. With all the powder earlier this season it stayed about 150. Now that we are into hardpack it climbs all the time. I have to keep packing the sides and back. The engine temp light has come on way too often. Never had this before removing the front radiator.

Just curious did you follow the SLP instructions and leave in the radiator hoses....
900rmkcoolingsysassy.jpg

Or did you eliminate the "T" inline and eliminate the hoses alltogether to the Radiator?

900rmkcoolingsysassy-1.jpg

If you left the radiator hoses, even if you installed the restrictor from SLP... your sled WILL run hotter than if you eliminate the hoses/radiator (above pic)

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
BioDiesel Hybrid

MountainHorse, I like your new sled. Instead of a gas can, are you going to carry a deepfryer?:D

Sleds:
1971 Ski Doo Elan 250 (my first new sled)
2005 RMK 900 155" with some goodies
2009 IQ-RMK-RR 1200 BioDiesel Hybrid

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
what's with the BD? as someone who has run b100 in my vw's since 2002 and now the Jeep GC diesel, I am curious.
I have to 275 gallon tote in the garage already. would be awesome for sledding too.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Well, if you haven't bought it yet, I would maybe think of looking at a different sled. My 05' 900 is the ONLY 900 that my dealer sold that hasn't had the motor completely let go, from one thing or another. I have been pretty fortunate, as I haven't had many problems with mine, but I did alot of work to it right from the start. I have around 2600 miles on mine, and it is the one with the most miles on as well. I used to defend these sleds, as I have never had problems, but I wouldn't buy another one. Makes me wonder when mine is going down........Jesse.

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Its a very good sled and the prices of them make them a steal, had 2400 mi when I was rearended with my trailer on and toasted it. Just need the primary clutch on at 95lbs and watch the motor mounts.Run scratchers and the temps wont be a problem,pull all the plastic off.

N
Jan 1, 2008
Bend, OR
needs the scratchers

Adding back the radiator is not going to cool your hyfax! I figure if the engine temp is up so is the track temp. Just drop the scratchers and I'm back to 130-140.

It's a kick azz machine for the money...hard to beat in my opionion. Rides great, handles well and LOTS of power. Unless you get a bad one from the factory, you'll love the machine. Just vent the hell out of it, buy the updated belt, new intake, lighter can and put some scratcher on it.....then ride with any $10K-$12K sled out there. I love my 900 and will ride her till it dies....then I will buy and Apex and turbo it. Have fun.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Well, if you haven't bought it yet, I would maybe think of looking at a different sled. My 05' 900 is the ONLY 900 that my dealer sold that hasn't had the motor completely let go, from one thing or another. I have been pretty fortunate, as I haven't had many problems with mine, but I did alot of work to it right from the start. I have around 2600 miles on mine, and it is the one with the most miles on as well. I used to defend these sleds, as I have never had problems, but I wouldn't buy another one. Makes me wonder when mine is going down........Jesse.

Oh my, a 900 owner who is honest with himself and others... that's a rarity.

snowdeamen... you better deal on it REALLY hard. You can buy new or nearly new ones for the $5k range.

I would suggest you look for a different sled. There is reasons why Polaris stopped making the 900 and hasn't offered a big block IQ since.

And before anyone slams me I'll do it myself. Yes, I hate the 900. You can do a search here on Snowest and see why. I freely admit it. I've heard lots of stories about all these great running 900s that only vibrate on Tuesdays and don't eat belts. I ride pretty much every weekend in Utah and would love to see one of these 900s. I'll even buy lunch cause at the price of the new "won't eat belts" belt you'll need to save every penny you have.

sled_guy

Last edited:
Premium Features