• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power valves on 727 - 600

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What are they thinking ... two 10 mm wrenched bolts holding the power valves on?

How much can you tighten these bolts?

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
What are they thinking ... two 10 mm bolts holding the power valves on?

They are plenty as they see no pressure to speak of. Good and snug is plenty, don't have the manual in front of me but like 10-12 ft/#'s from memory.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
What are they thinking ... two 10 mm bolts holding the power valves on?

Really, 2 - 10mm bolts???? Why does your sled have such big bolts for the exhaust valves? That's almost a 7/16" diameter bolt. My sled has 6mm diameter bolts, a little smaller than 5/16". Now I do use a 10mm wrench to tighten/loosen them.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Really, 2 - 10mm bolts???? Why does your sled have such big bolts for the exhaust valves? That's almost a 7/16" diameter bolt. My sled has 6mm diameter bolts, a little smaller than 5/16". Now I do use a 10mm wrench to tighten/loosen them.

I got you now. Really, that is ridiculous. I was thinking the 10mm wrench for the 6mm bolts on the stock cylinder. They must have machined it out to the size of the hollow dowel pin size? and using the large bolt to locate and hold it instead?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

You are correct the wrench is 10mm

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I got you now. Really, that is ridiculous. I was thinking the 10mm wrench for the 6mm bolts on the stock cylinder. They must have machined it out to the size of the hollow dowel pin size? and using the large bolt to locate and hold it instead?

I was kidding with him, I knew what he meant.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
They are plenty as they see no pressure to speak of. Good and snug is plenty, don't have the manual in front of me but like 10-12 ft/#'s from memory.

This makes sense.

I have yet to ride it BUT it seems the oil blowby (based on the oil build up around the exhaust hose) is quite alot !

Is this common on a 727?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
That would be Master Sergeant to you!!!

Oh sorry Master Sargent !

I was in the NAVY ... I learned PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY ...

Are you sure the message had 10mm wrenched bolt or will the quotes get me busted?

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
This makes sense.

I have yet to ride it BUT it seems the oil blowby (based on the oil build up around the exhaust hose) is quite alot !

Is this common on a 727?

Yep, it's a common thing. I routed the vent line from the solenoid out of the engine compartment. Look for the hose sticking out by the front upper A-arm mount. The hole already existed, I just filed it out so the hose fits tight.

100_0330.jpg

100_0331.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That sounds wrong you may want to check for a bad diaphragm. All the oil should be on the bottom side of the diaphragm. As I believe the 727 is based on the 600HO and it's solenoid actuated valves. So the hose should only have the vacuum from the intake tract working on when functioning correctly.

I believe you are sucking dirty oil and carbon out of the crankcase / cylinder and recycling it through to the intake side. Check the diaphragm for holes or rips or incorrect assembly that would allow this passage.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
That sounds wrong you may want to check for a bad diaphragm. All the oil should be on the bottom side of the diaphragm. As I believe the 727 is based on the 600HO and it's solenoid actuated valves. So the hose should only have the vacuum from the intake tract working on when functioning correctly.

I believe you are sucking dirty oil and carbon out of the crankcase / cylinder and recycling it through to the intake side. Check the diaphragm for holes or rips or incorrect assembly that would allow this passage.

Unless the carbed version is different, there is no hose with vacuum to/from the intake track on the CFI models. The solenoid just allows venting to the atmosphere to keep the valves "closed/down". The ECU activates the solenoid to stop that venting so the small amount of exhaust pressure will push on the bellows thus lifting/opening the exhaust valves - this can vary from sled to sled, but it's some where around 7k RPM. The '02 600 RMK I had had NO hoses on the valves at all, the valves worked strictly from exhaust pressure and spring rates.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
This makes sense.

Is this common on a 727?

Don, if the mess is up front under the exhaust pipe, that's normal blow-by. If you have an oily mess on the exhaust valve housing, then you have a bad bellows and need to replace it - I recommend replacing both at the same time.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Okay, sorry for the last post. Most of my experience has been with the pre-CFI sleds, as the racers and carbed versions worked on vacuum from the intake side. I wonder why they chose to deviate from that? It was a cleaner on everything as I remember.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Oh sorry Master Sargent !

I was in the NAVY ... I learned PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY ...

Are you sure the message had 10mm wrenched bolt or will the quotes get me busted?

I have to step up for my fellow Master Sergeant (retired), that would be "Chief" for you Navy types.

Word on the flight line was that Sergeant was too hard for Navy guys to spell, so they used Chief for their top 3. Just a little service humour.... :face-icon-small-ton

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don, if the mess is up front under the exhaust pipe, that's normal blow-by. If you have an oily mess on the exhaust valve housing, then you have a bad bellows and need to replace it - I recommend replacing both at the same time.

I checked the bellows and they are not cracked and the oil is on the bottom (where it should be draining to)

Just seems like this thing leaks alot.

I took the drain line out of the solenoid and put it thru the melted front radiator delete cover till I figure out a better exit port.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So ... getting lots of oil out of the exhaust connections ... gonna check the amount of oil being delivered.

Premium Features