• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro RMK 800 163 Oil Cap

J
Aug 30, 2010
Hakuba Japan
Hi I am an avid Polaris fan and have a 2011 Pro RMK and live and ride it in Japan at a ski resort called Hakuba in Nagano. Here the powder snow is as deep as it is anywhere, which is great, but often when I get stuck on the side of a hill or mountain and am bogged down in a whole because of trenching the only way to get unstuck when I am on my own is to role the mobile over. This always works, but I often find the oil cap leaks gobs of oil into the engine bay, through the console and onto the dash and then usually onto me after I have roled it over.

Presently I am considering updating to a 2013 Pro RMK a 163, not for this reason, but I have been trying to a get a look at what the oil cap looks like. Does anyone know if it is the same or it has changed or knows of a link I can check out to see the new cap type . The issue I find is it does not entirely seal cleanly when it gets locked into position.

I see there are a few gripes with the PRO's this would be my only issue with them and other than this am a very satisfied customer. Oh there was one other thing why don't Polaris sell them with a teather cord, as I had to find this out the hard way about how important it is to have one?

Thank you
Jason

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Hi I am an avid Polaris fan and have a 2011 Pro RMK and live and ride it in Japan at a ski resort called Hakuba in Nagano. Here the powder snow is as deep as it is anywhere, which is great, but often when I get stuck on the side of a hill or mountain and am bogged down in a whole because of trenching the only way to get unstuck when I am on my own is to role the mobile over. This always works, but I often find the oil cap leaks gobs of oil into the engine bay, through the console and onto the dash and then usually onto me after I have roled it over.

Presently I am considering updating to a 2013 Pro RMK a 163, not for this reason, but I have been trying to a get a look at what the oil cap looks like. Does anyone know if it is the same or it has changed or knows of a link I can check out to see the new cap type . The issue I find is it does not entirely seal cleanly when it gets locked into position.

I see there are a few gripes with the PRO's this would be my only issue with them and other than this am a very satisfied customer. Oh there was one other thing why don't Polaris sell them with a teather cord, as I had to find this out the hard way about how important it is to have one?

Thank you
Jason

I have the same problem with my '11. Talked to Carl's and they said bring it in and they will warranty it. They said there have been a few cases where the top of the tank warps or wasn't machined flat and they leak. I originally thought mine was leaking through the chain case, but I have a lot of residue around the oil cap now, which makes me think that's the only leak. Good luck!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Somethings not right here. We had two 09 RMK's for two years and now two Pro's for two years. We have had them upside down a hundred times and never once had them leak oil. Same goes with my Cat and Doo friends. (And they get stuck alot) :face-icon-small-ton
The oil cap on the 2009 is exactly the same as the 2011 so I am assuming the 12 and 13 are the same too. Your oil cap will have a small hole in the top and if you shake the oil cap you should hear a steal ball rolling around in there. Also check the rubber seal inside the oil cap. I wouldn't want a tether on the oil cap. :face-icon-small-con

DSC02840.jpg

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Buddy has an 11 which was leaking too. We put in the machined aluminum oil cap fix which is made by someone on the forum here...maybe do a little research on that as I can't remember his screen name or anything.

But, with that new aluminum insert (it basically just goes inside the neck of the oil tank and straightens the hole back out from being warped) we didn’t have any leaking issues anymore.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The sleeve works great my 11 leaked also.The cap acted like it was striped so i went with Dans sleeve and it fixed my problem. I was so impressed I became a dealer if you need one pm me.
Thanks Jim

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
One of my two '11's last year had no o-ring in the cap. Also, on my '11 short tracker, if you give the cap an extra little bit after it makes gasket contact, it will **** on the threads. Either a new bottle or just barely tightening the cap fixes the issue. YMMV.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Follow the link below I have. It is in the Iowa section. Dan is a great guy and I got one for my Crossfire and have not had any issues since. The necks get warped by the heat. I had to take o-ring out of cap to get it threaded on good. I was worried about leaking when I did that, so I put sled on it side for 3-4 mins and had no issues. Rode sled in WY. for 3-days and had no issues. Put this in and problems solved. :face-icon-small-hap

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280368

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The insert helps....another thing to try until you get the insert is a few wraps of electrical tape on the tank threads. That will keep most from leaking.....also, just snug the cap, too tight will distort the threads.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
I wouldn't want a tether on the oil cap. :face-icon-small-con

I think you misread that one. :face-icon-small-sho

He basically said, "I love the sled except for the leaking oil cap. Oh there was one other thing, why doesn't Polaris sell them (the sleds, not the oil cap lol) with a tether cord?"

If you want to install a tether, it is an easy job. The wiring is already all there, you just have to buy the tether. It is a plug and play deal basically. Check out this thread for info on wiring locations and part numbers. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281923

Last edited:
J
Aug 30, 2010
Hakuba Japan
Oil Cap for 2011 Pros

Thanks everyone for the good advice on the oil cap, I will explore the option of putting in a sleeve and also have since added a rubber o-ring to it. Will be riding tomorrow, as we had 3 feet of fresh powder yesterday here in Hakuba and thus will make sure I roll over a few times.

Thanks again cheers
Jason Jansen

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
My oil cap leaked on my 11. Dealer wouldn't warranty it for me. I had to buy a $90 oil tank and new cap because the top of the tank was warped. I tried sleves and o-rings first with no avail. Just didn't want my sled to catch fire.

Premium Features