• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Factory Cat Air Filter - 1100 Turbo

S
Dec 6, 2007
Has anyone ditched the factory air filter and sealed off that area so the sled sucks air from the factory intake system just without the restrictive paper filter? I want a cold air intake system but don't know exactly what do do. I think this should work fairly well as the factory system has prefilter material on the areas it draws air from.

I think the turbo yammy guys just run a cage with a prefilter on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I was kinda thinking the same, I'm going to try and get rid of as much of the stock plenum as possible and just run silicon tube from the compressor to the two stock dash intakes. I just worried a little about water getting into this kinda set-up with the intakes being a flat surface.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I think it is there to protect the turbo that is spinning about 25 thousand rpm:face-icon-small-sho

S
Dec 6, 2007
Do the yamaha turbo guys have a paper filter as well as the prefilter screen material on the outside of the sled? Do the 2 stroke guys run a paper filter? I know it is extra protection but what I am wondering is if it is necessary.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
No yami guys with turbos run anything but a prefilter, even on an mcx with the prefilter 12" from turbo. We've done several cold air: with a Boondocker yami location straight thru the hood, I'm doing a couple using the factory spots with both sides opened up, and I did mine with a whole new plenum in the missing headlight location. I only use frogskin on that too, although water couldnt get into the plumbing anyway. It's like a new sled with a cold air anything.

S
Dec 6, 2007
Justboostit,

I have seen the pictures of your hood. It is very cool but I do not have the time or the ability to build my own hood like that. Do you have any pictures or more product information on the other intakes you have installed? How did you use the factory intake withouth the paper filter? I'd like to get something together for the weekend as I am heading off to Revelstoke for a week.

Thanks,

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Can definitely loose the fabric as 583 said, easiest and quickest way to get started. In talking to Glen Hall in the summer he said the factory filter wasn't restrictive on the dyno till way past where most people are going for hp. While I believe that to be true, the throttle response whether from colder air or being less restrictive is hard to argue with.

I plumbed my breather tube to the intake elbow that the blow off valve is in to. There is a mold on it that is the right size, just have to cut it open. Because of how my intake now hooks up it was right in line where it had to be. I also have the yami version of the Jacobson roll over valve thou so there would be no possibility of oil running in that hose anyway without the tether on. I posted in some link about the valve kit, if you can't find it just pm me. This is a must on a 4s IMO.

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
i ran 2 2inch flex tubes from stock air inlets after removing lower 1/2 of air box and fabbed up a y into the turbo.i did this after not knowing had the stock plastic cover come apart and start letting under hood heat into the intake. which caused knock sensor codes at 18 psi boost . its a liitle tight but works great.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Can definitely loose the fabric as 583 said, easiest and quickest way to get started. In talking to Glen Hall in the summer he said the factory filter wasn't restrictive on the dyno till way past where most people are going for hp. While I believe that to be true, the throttle response whether from colder air or being less restrictive is hard to argue with.

I plumbed my breather tube to the intake elbow that the blow off valve is in to. There is a mold on it that is the right size, just have to cut it open. Because of how my intake now hooks up it was right in line where it had to be. I also have the yami version of the Jacobson roll over valve thou so there would be no possibility of oil running in that hose anyway without the tether on. I posted in some link about the valve kit, if you can't find it just pm me. This is a must on a 4s IMO.

Is the stock breather tube long enough to run down to the blow off valve location?

Premium Features