• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sno Scoot Help

M
Mar 27, 2008
Ok here is the issue..
Got this sled from a guy knew nothing about it..been sitting for years(5+) And looks like brand new its hardly been used just sitting

Needless to say I replaced all the fuel/oil lines fuel filter and flushed the fuel system/tank.

Pulled fuel pump apart checked diaphrams cleaned looked good and pumps fuel great all the way up to the carb!

125/130 lbs compression.

I cleaned the carb 15 times now thinking I keep missing something
New pilot,main,needle and seat, same old rubber plug over piolt, new spring on ckoke plunger(o ring on plunger still looks good)
Every passage is clear even the small ports in the choke passages in fuel bowl. every passages is clean and free flowing

Ok here is what it is doing

It will start for about 3 or 4 seconds consistantly but wont idle or wont rev up just dies. Even if I hit it with a lil starting fluid while running
The choke on helps a lil but not the problem:crazy:
Every time I pull the carb the fuel bowl is completely full of fuel

I pulled the reeds they look good

Disconected the tps and looped the wires(tried it hooked up too)

I was thinking crank seal or sucking air somewhere?

I also dont have the key for this so I just unplugged the key switch. Could that be the issue?

I ve read many a thread in all kinds of different forums about how finiky the carbs are but I'm sure I have this thing cleaned good. Heard the stories of buying a new carb and it runs perfect now and the story of bought a new carb and nothing changed?

could it be stator?

HELP...Its driving me nuts!

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
well, i guess if its full of fuel each time , the gas is on. i doubt its the key or stator. my sno scoot runs without the key or battery. and i know my 400 big bear would turn over, but not fire until i replaced the stator. i dunno, but i got all the parts to rebuild my snoscoot carb from an online dealer (babbitsonline.com) for about $65.00. good luck.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I had the exact same issue with one of my Scoots. It turned out to be the fuel shutoff valve. I took it out of the loops to see and bang it was cured. I'm not sure if it was letting air inor what the deal was. I went right from the tank to the carb. I did the same things as you. Try it.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Good Luck ! I love the Scoots ! Another great Yamaha !

Merry Christmas !

M
Mar 27, 2008
Figured it out xmas eve! Just in time! Some little critter or insect made a lil nest on the exhaust! It would rattle around in there till it plugged off exhaust and killed it... So I pulled off silencer/baffle and it runs like a top! Sounds pretty cool too! My son drove it all sound the grass since we dont have snow yet...but he didnt care!

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
thats a good one. glad you got it figured out. i got mine free from a guy who said it had elec probs. took it home cleaned it out, turned the key, no nuttin. didnt see a pull rope, so i figured it needed at least a battery. then while i was just sittin on it, i saw a warning sticker that said to make sure the kick lever was put back correctly...:face-icon-small-sho...kick lever??? sure enough, looked under the sticker and popped out the kick start. kicked it a good 50 times n decided the battery musta been dead. then i looked at the damn kill switch:face-icon-small-dis, put it in the run position, kicked it once, and it fired right up. kids rode it two years, now it sets needing an "obsolete" drive shaft. cant find one anywhere. and nobody around here can make me one, so i might be sol on this one.

hope every one gets some snow soon. if i could share it i would, but i just was never good at sharing.:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features