• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Value of wrecked sleds?? Similar to Cars??

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Hey all,
I'm pretty new to snowmobiling, crossed over from motocross. Anway I was wondering if a wrecked snowmobile is similar to car with respect to value. If a car is wrecked, even if it has been fixed it is generally worth less. However, with dirt bikes and four wheelers and such, as long as the broken part has been replaced, the value of the vehicle doesn't really change. For example, say I crash my dirt bike really bad and it needs a new fork. If I buy a new fork and install it correctly, the value of the bike is exactly the same, if not more because it has a new fork.
So my question is, what end of the spectrum are snowmobiles on? If a snowmobile eats a tree and it needs a new hood and steering column, is it worth the same as an sled that hasn't been wrecked as long as all the parts are replaced. And if not, generally how much has the value decreased? 25%?
The reason I'm asking all this is that my friend thinks I shouldn't buy a wrecked sled because of resell value, even though everything has been replaced...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I know at the action they sell for a ridiculous amount of money, there was one that had the A arms, all of them twisted a bent tunnel, cracked hood, ripped seat etc... had a 1000 miles and was a 08 m8 153 std. sold for 3200 plus buyer fees that 50% or better of what it is worth. As for buying a wrecked one, only if I was the one to fix it, to many hacks for me to trust out there. Even if there was one you could trust was fixed right it would still have to be 20% less than "real market value".

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
Stay away from sleds that have bulkhead damage or tunnels dent really bad.

If you do buy then get them for cheap.

Premium Features