• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 Pantera 580 Ratcheting: Need Help!

M
Apr 22, 2010
Need some help diagnosing a problem. The quick rundown: I bought a track on ebay that was supposed to be a 136", it was a huge pain in the butt to get on and was super tight. I figured it would stretch after a few rides, but instead after breaking my driveshaft a few rides later, found out that it was actually a 133.5". I ended up chewing up my reverse gear, and a couple other pieces and parts in the chaincase when the driveshaft broke. A couple hundred dollars and a new driveshaft later, I have the correct track on the sled.

My problem is I can't get the track to keep from "ratcheting." I first thought the track was maybe a little loose. I've tightened it up a bit each time I've gone out thinking the problem would go away, all to no avail. With the track completely tight, I still get the "ratcheting" sound every time I accelerate hard or try to climb any sort of hill at all.

I opened up the chaincase today to see if perhaps I was getting some problems in there and the chain does look loose, the chain tensioner pushes it over enough that it almost touches the reverse sprocket and idler assembly in the middle of the chaincase. Is this normal for the chain?

Could a loose chain be causing the "ratcheting" sound or should I be looking somewhere else?

Also after some close inspection, it looks like a few of the teeth on the drivers are a little "chewed up". These may have been damaged though when the drivers were pressed on to the the driveshaft (I didn't do the last install myself so I can't be sure). Could this be causing my problem even with the track tightened?

Thanks for any help or input.

Last edited:
Premium Features