• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Skidoo X

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
This sled was a good sled while it lasted this year but i bent the bulkhead BAD. Going full tube chassis on this one now(a first) and excited to get going on it. Just wanted opinions on what will be the best setup for this sled.
MOTOR OPTIONS
-Yamaha Nytro motor
-Skidoo 1200

MAYBE'S
-800r out of an XP
-Cat 800 motor

All turboed im thinking Pump gas setup

SUSPENTION OPTIONS
-Timbersled
-K-Mod

This is what im looking for at the moment. Here is what im starting off with.
The goal is a light weight powerful sled(Im a lightweight junkie). Also looking for the reliability of the 4-stroke motor.

sledecomplete002.jpg

sledecomplete001.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and If you have any opinions.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Yep, I built it last summer. Worked great and now its time to finish the chassis off. Ill have to post some pix of the Damage done to the bulk head. Nasty.

Also looing for the best cooling ideas in the tunnel and steering ideas. I Know i can shead some weight there. Anyone have any super light stearing setups or toughts?

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
not sure but my 2cents

I hear cats with a turbo are the way to go if you want reliable hp.timbersled is what i would try because i want to also..other than that i am not sure thats why i am farmsled'n it..

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
The tunnel came in at 18 lbs powder coated and skinned. It was way stronger than I figured it would be and held a lot less snow than a stocker. The stock one weighted 32 lbs in the same stage. I love it. Can't wait to get a new front end built for it and get it back out on the snow for another season with a new power plant.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
If I could...

I'd put a 800HO Cat motor with a Twisted Turbo and a K-Mod skid. 200+hp sub 450lbs

Vector motor, Alpine or ??? and a CR-10. 250-275hp sub-525lbs

Realistically if it were mine....

Turbo the 800HO and K-Mod it.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
If I could...

I'd put a 800HO Cat motor with a Twisted Turbo and a K-Mod skid. 200+hp sub 450lbs

Vector motor, Alpine or ??? and a CR-10. 250-275hp sub-525lbs

Realistically if it were mine....

Turbo the 800HO and K-Mod it.

I already parted out the engine bay. No more motor. So i figured while im rebuilding the bulkhead, Might as well put the best motor in her possible. Do you guys really think going 4-stroke will add 75 LBS to this sled? As opposed to a 800 2 stroke?

Last edited:
R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
I already parted out the engine bay. No more motor. So i figured while im rebuilding the bulkhead, Might as well put the best motor her possible. Do you guys really think going 4-stroke will add 75 LBS to this sled? As opposed to a 800 2 stroke?

Yes, maybe even more when you figure in all the lectrical and exhaust system...The Nytro motor is remotely bullet proof, but for the idea you are going with it stay with a 2 stroke...your gonna end up with a chassy that is amazingly wellbuilt but will handle terribly and be so nose heavy that it will either dive or not be able to stay down. Just my .02 but lightweight is great until it breaks, there are def some parts that are better staying a lil beefy. But all in all i love your build its a beautiful work of art...i have a 900 Turbo in a built chassis and soon to be building a new nytro..but ridden many many of them. Best of luck!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
haha.. because I can.. ill post instead of just talk your ear off.

issue with a cat motor is the pipe exits out the front and wraps around, and that being kinda a PITA to get working.. can you say hacked up pipe that splits all the time? thinking about my yami motor.. there is a LOT of crap associated iwth it that isnt light.. header being one of them.... oil pan, starter.. you know.. you have pulled on mine! get a doo motor and boost the crap out of it... so easy!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Ok Guys seriously thinking about a two stroke turbo build now. Just for weight reasons. I built my 900 turbo now i think i can build a very good kit with the knowelege i have from this build. Any thoughts on a 600 turbo? Ive heard the 600's are about 20 lbs lighter than the 8's. + less rotating mass. Anyone have a 600 turbo that runs well. Do they run with a mod 800?

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Yes, maybe even more when you figure in all the lectrical and exhaust system...The Nytro motor is remotely bullet proof, but for the idea you are going with it stay with a 2 stroke...your gonna end up with a chassy that is amazingly wellbuilt but will handle terribly and be so nose heavy that it will either dive or not be able to stay down. Just my .02 but lightweight is great until it breaks, there are def some parts that are better staying a lil beefy. But all in all i love your build its a beautiful work of art...i have a 900 Turbo in a built chassis and soon to be building a new nytro..but ridden many many of them. Best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words. With the way this tunnel held up this year, I am so impressed with chromoloy. So light and so strong. I am very good at testing the the strengths of things. That will be one of the greatest challenges of this build is figuring out where the extra weight need to be for the strength.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The new 800HO or older 900 Cat motors are pretty close in performance as far as I can tell. Hard to tell because of the chassis difference. Both good platforms for boost.
I'd contemplate a 900 based 999 bigbore with spray if I was really serious about boosting the 800 Doo.
But now you got me thinking......dammit.....this one has to stay half-azzed stock this time.

Good luck man, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
hey josh.. want to buy a 700 doo motor??!!! ahaha..

ill see if I cant hunt down a weight savings.. if you still had your 8 we could measure em straight across. oh well. a 600 milled out head and some pressure would be silly for the style of riding you do.. I think I would have to change groups as I could never follow you.. worse then now! 600 motors are cheap and easy to come by.. the carbs are the same as the 8's if im thinking right.. so should be easy.. light. and like doing exotic drugs!

Premium Features