• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 hcr primary removal

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
I got a clutch puller, threaded it in, beat on it, and it won't move at all. I tried backing it out, and nothing. Whats the trick here. Thanks. Tim

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
make sure you put some oil on the threads and on the tip of the puller. then thread it in and tighten it up real good. give it a few wacks.. then tighten some more. it should come. clutch should give before puller will.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Lube up the threads and the tip of the puller. Then I use a torque wrench and go to 100ft lbs. What I have found is any more than 100 and you will bend the puller.

then give it a few good hits. Then get a propane torch and start to heat the center of the clutch, down where the belt rides. Roll the clutch over as you heat it. Then give it a few more hits.

If it is still stuck, remove the puller. Tip the sled on it's side. Fill the hole in the clutch/crank with grease. Put some teflon tape on the puller threads and put it back in. Take it upto 100ft lbs. and Cross your fingers.

If it doesn't come off with heat in short order the heat will get to the crank and you will have the crank grow along with the clutch. So you will just have to let it sit and completely cool again before your try it again.

Good luck. I have bent/broke many a puller on these damn things. :(

Thunder

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I put her on her side, filled the hole with water, and she popped right off after an hour of frustration and cussing. Now I get to figure out how to put it back on. Looks easy enough. Tim

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

Are you suppose to line anything up when you put the primary back on? Are there marks or anything on cover that need to be lined up when you bolt it back on?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Are you suppose to line anything up when you put the primary back on? Are there marks or anything on cover that need to be lined up when you bolt it back on?

just put it on and tighten main bolt to 55 ft/lbs. the only marks to line up is if you take the primary clutch itself apart. the moveable sheave / spider / cover each have a dot on them. make sure they are lined up. but if just putting the clutch back on the crank... just put it on. dont matter.

Last edited:
Premium Features