• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How does a shift assist kit work from BD-X Should I buy one?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Better backshift, but you'll lose about 300-400 rpm, so you'll need to re-clutch.

The improvement from the SA pales in comparison to a real clutch kit, but obviously it's a decent chunk less $$ so that's your call.

S
Nov 3, 2009
Better backshift, but you'll lose about 300-400 rpm, so you'll need to re-clutch.

The improvement from the SA pales in comparison to a real clutch kit, but obviously it's a decent chunk less $$ so that's your call.

backcountry, Not to thread jack, but you seem to know a bit about clutching for the M sleds. What is the best setup right now for a 2010 153 M8 if riding the steep and deep mostly and dropping some pretty good size cliffs?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
backcountry, Not to thread jack, but you seem to know a bit about clutching for the M sleds. What is the best setup right now for a 2010 153 M8 if riding the steep and deep mostly and dropping some pretty good size cliffs?

HA!! I'm no clutching guru by a long shot, I've just had the opportunity to try out a lot of products compared to most folks because of my relationship with my local shop. He's the one that knows how to make it work, I just ride it & report!

I haven't played around with the 2010's hardly at all, so I'm not gonna be much help with that machine. Both of my main sleds are still 09's yet. I've heard people are happy with Kevin's (MM sports) setups on that sled, he may have some input.

Either way, get a clutch kit or at very least a shift assist, I couldn't justify riding without one of the two. RKT would be my first choice, then the bikeman kit, both are stout for jumping, the cutler is a little vulnerable to breakage when landing too much on the throttle.

Last edited:
So are you saying with my snowmobile I should consider a clutch kit or shift assist? Snowmobiles you've ridden with stock clutching, a clutching kit, or shift assist, which worked best for the money, and how much better performance wise are they than stock?

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The way I tell people is this, they're both worth the money.
You get a lot more from a real clutch kit, adjustability, better backshift than a SA, the ablity to change RPM if needed with the spring, and MUCH easier to change springs.
The SA is definitely worth the money as well, but you gain nothing but backshift. If you really can't afford a clutch kit, get a SA, if you can afford a clutch kit, get one, it's worth it.

Vague enough for you? :)

Premium Features