• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying new sled in Minnesota? Watch out!

C
Feb 2, 2010
Just want to make everyone aware of a situation I had this past weekend trying to buy a new sled. 2 of my buddies and I were buying new sleds.. I had 2 on hold at Heinen's on Osseo, MN. 2 leftover 2007 M1000 Snowpros. Never used so you would expect them to be brand new.. My other buddy bought one from Country Cat 100 miles north of Osseo so we picked his up first then headed to Heinen's to get the other 2 sleds. When we got there, one sled had salt stains clear through the tunnel and the right A-arm was rusted. The other sled had a bent tunnel from the fork lift; gouges on the hood clear down to the black plastic and the lower panel under the hood was cracked. They hadn't told us any of this. And all they said when we saw them was "sorry." Paul the owner who we had been dealing with wasn't in so he called me back on Tues and all he said was "that's unfortunate." Didn't try to make it right for wasted time or money in gas (we drove from SW Iowa). The customer service was appauling! My wife even called them to "inquire" about the sleds and their condition and was told that one was essentially perfect and the other just had a couple nicks on the hood but they were small. We ended up going gack to Country Cat who had already closed for the day to get 2 more sleds. The ENTIRE crew stayed and they called in extra mechanics to make sure we were taken care of. They were outstanding! Be warned; if your thinking your getting a good deal from Heinen's it won't be! BBB has 7 complaints filed against them and 4 of them are unresolved! Country Cat may be a little further but definately worth the time!

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Awhile ago, they had some left over 08 M8's I called on. They guy was a jerk, to say the least.

I have heard what happens is they buy/get the left overs, and damaged sleds from transport. And sell them. But the sit outside/have been sitting outside, and are not in new condition.

BTW Storm Lake Honda/Arctic Cat is a good dealership.

Last edited:
J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Bought my m1000 from Cat Country and drove from Chicago.

Awesome service and nice guys, Helped me the whole way.

And the sled was in perfect condition, until I took the windshield off with a tree branch.:face-icon-small-hap

O
Feb 23, 2008
Hugo MN
Awhile ago, they had some left over 08 M8's I called on. They guy was a jerk, to say the least.

I have heard what happens is they buy/get the left overs, and damaged sleds from transport. And sell them. But the sit outside/have been sitting outside, and are not in new condition.

BTW Storm Lake Honda/Arctic Cat is a good dealership.

i have heard that they do this as well.

N
Nov 25, 2008
Country Cat

I bought a M8 from Country Cat too. They are awesome. When I asked for the price they figured in sales tax, dock fee, and everything else not just what the price tag said. Then they have worked with me after I bought it to. If I buy agian it will be through them for sure. I had problems getting it licenced in South Dakota and they did everything they could to help me.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Heinen's blows. I had a few bad experiences with them and NEVER went back. Sorry to hear about the problems!!! Country Cat, on the other hand dealt with them once a long time ago and they were AWESOME to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I see on Ebay that Heinens add a couple hundred dollar documentation on top of the price. When a dealer starts that I walk away.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Another vote for Country Cat and Storm Lake Honda & Arctic Cat. Both great to deal with!

Boone

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
arctic cat dealers can buy sled from salvage they may be new but have been shipped all over the country and what not
they have sat outside and shipped on semi trailers

R

rsoukup37

Nov 9, 2009
Southeast SD
yeah a friend of mine had the same problem with hienens. drove up there from southern south dakota and to get it and turn right around after he seen what it really was and coming home empty handed. i had really great service at yankton motorsports in southeast south dakota.

Just want to make everyone aware of a situation I had this past weekend trying to buy a new sled. 2 of my buddies and I were buying new sleds.. I had 2 on hold at Heinen's on Osseo, MN. 2 leftover 2007 M1000 Snowpros. Never used so you would expect them to be brand new.. My other buddy bought one from Country Cat 100 miles north of Osseo so we picked his up first then headed to Heinen's to get the other 2 sleds. When we got there, one sled had salt stains clear through the tunnel and the right A-arm was rusted. The other sled had a bent tunnel from the fork lift; gouges on the hood clear down to the black plastic and the lower panel under the hood was cracked. They hadn't told us any of this. And all they said when we saw them was "sorry." Paul the owner who we had been dealing with wasn't in so he called me back on Tues and all he said was "that's unfortunate." Didn't try to make it right for wasted time or money in gas (we drove from SW Iowa). The customer service was appauling! My wife even called them to "inquire" about the sleds and their condition and was told that one was essentially perfect and the other just had a couple nicks on the hood but they were small. We ended up going gack to Country Cat who had already closed for the day to get 2 more sleds. The ENTIRE crew stayed and they called in extra mechanics to make sure we were taken care of. They were outstanding! Be warned; if your thinking your getting a good deal from Heinen's it won't be! BBB has 7 complaints filed against them and 4 of them are unresolved! Country Cat may be a little further but definately worth the time!

Yea i put money down on a m1000 last year at heinens and they told me it was perfect still in the box 0 miles then when i called back after putting money down off my credit card i talked to someone different because the owner was out and he told me that they did not even have any leftover m1000s in stock and that if i wanted a sled i would have to buy a new one so i did not even get my money back. there shady.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
The sled you went to go look at is a perfect example of a cat salvage bought sled. At cat salvage one or both of these factors happen. One they are "test ridden" out in the mountains for testing/R&D work. Then taken all apart and put back together. They are essentially "new" machines to cat. At our Tech College the power sports program gets a few sleds every year out of cart salvage and then returns them. At the college they take them apart down to nothing and put them back together many times. Then returns them to cat salvage. They are auctioned off to dealers who can sell them as new machines or hold overs. Before they are auctioned off they sit in a HUGE lot in Thief River outside no cover under the sun in the weeds. It is a shame how they just sit there and nothing happens to them for YEARS. It is really sad. So the sled you went to look at probably went through one or all of those situations. The only way to safely buy a hold over from cat anymore is "In the Crate" and if you can do so take it home in the crate and put it together yourself. You learn a lot about your sled and will know it was done right. As for good dealers? RV Sports in Thief River. I know it is a drive but it is worth it. Country Cat is top notch and Thomas Snow Sports is pretty good too.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Yea i put money down on a m1000 last year at heinens and they told me it was perfect still in the box 0 miles then when i called back after putting money down off my credit card i talked to someone different because the owner was out and he told me that they did not even have any leftover m1000s in stock and that if i wanted a sled i would have to buy a new one so i did not even get my money back. there shady.

Wow, they didn't even give you your money back!!

I would of called the Credit Card Company and filled a fraud claim to get my money back. Then a call to Arctic Cat.
How some great dealers got shutdown over the last few years and how some like Heinens stay in buisness is`sad......

Premium Features