• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lets clean up the repeat posts

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i'm in the arctic cat forum on a daily basis, and over the years i have seen the same posts regarding sled setups come up time after time. i'm sure its probably the same for each other brand. i think that a few stickies can clean up all of these repeat posts. i'll stick with the arctic cat theme here for my example, but of course it can be duplicated for each other forum.

first off, start with a title for each sticky that goes something like this...

"the ultimate m7 motor setup master list"
"the ultimate m7 turbo motor setup master list"
"the ultimate m8 motor setup master list"
"the ultimate m8 turbo motor setup master list"
"the ultimate m1k motor setup master list"
"the ultimate m1k turbo motor setup master list"
"the ultimate big bore motor setup master list"

inside each topic, users will fill out a questionnaire that lists all of the specs on their particular setup. people should be told NOT to post any questions or random comments. just the setup specs. mods might have to delete some of the garbage that gets posted by people that can't follow the rules. this should keep things to the point. for example, if "cherry poppins" wants to ask "seldmaster zero" how he likes that "superduper" exhaust can, he can just friggin pm the guy. we don't need to read 200 posts like that and have them clutter up the good stuff. and of course, brand specific questions can still go to the regular forum board.

in my opinion, i think that this could easily kill all of the clutching and fuel controler setting questions that get asked on a daily basis.

here is what i have in mind for the questionnaire that people would fill out:

sled: year/make/model/track length and track model

turbo: yes/no

big bore: yes/no

nitrous: yes/no

porting: yes/no, brand

riding elevation: -----ft.

riding style: hill climbing%/boondocking%/jumping%

exhaust: pipe/can, brand/model

intake: stock/aftermarket, brand/model

spark plugs: brand/model

fuel: octane rating

oil: brand and/or injection delete and premix levels

fuel controller: brand and settings

clutching: springs/weights/helix's/other

drive belt: brand/type

gearing: ratios

top track speed: _______

peak rpm: _______

additional info: _________

and this form can be added to or changed in whichever manner the users see fit.

there could even be another master setup list for suspension setups, and another questionnaire. or it could get wrapped up into this one. whatever.

personally, i think this would be a sweet little "database" for anyone tuning their sled.

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I have moved this thread to the CAT section and lets see if we can get the CAT MODS to jump on it.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
thanks christopher.

to the other mods out there,

if you are interested, i can write up a proper intro post in the sub-forums and then all you have to do is make it a sticky and/or edit it if you feel it is necessary. saves you guys some work.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
MY thoughts

Every one has different opinions.
For example I think that the m7 is best left alone for what you gain. I would clutch it and maybe a head and single but would never put twins on it. All the guys that have twins are going to bash me for that. I will not do an M7 turbo I will do every thing I can to talk them out of it but there is a lot of m7 turbos out there that run real good. John has some stickies in the M section for things like hand warmers and such but we all have our opinions on who we will use and who will not use.

Like turbo set ups they all have a different view on it so to do a best set up would be just asking for a fight.

"the ultimate m7 motor setup master list" Stock
"the ultimate m7 turbo motor setup master list" not one
"the ultimate m8 motor setup master list" porting
"the ultimate m8 turbo motor setup master list" stock
"the ultimate m1k motor setup master list" 990 kit or 1000 or 1150?
"the ultimate m1k turbo motor setup master list" Not one
"the ultimate big bore motor setup master list" forget it and put a turbo on it.

Maybe I am missing something and if I am please help me understand.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I dont think it will work on that format, due to all the new users. It takes time to figure out Snowest and the people on snowest.
It would need to be more specific. such as most m8 and m1000's from what I've seen have SLP pipes and in second SW. they all have different clutching and tuning devices ect...
It would be nice if each of us could create a sticky under our user name that would direct people to what mods we have personally and what we thought worked best, and be able to apply it to a post, if we think its helpful. Also being able to add others posts to our own sticky and create Info sheets from many sources. It would take time on a individual basis but you could clean up the unneeded info.

Most all of Frostbites threads could be a sticky, he states them well and get knowledgeable responses, also giving all known info he has.

I also think when you click on start a thread you should have to enter year of sled, model, pipe, turbo, fuel box, intake, clutching and other mods. to start the thread. To many times I have to ask for all there info. and it plays a key role

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
So maybe one sticky thread in each section, listing all of the individual threads of the mods made to each specific sled model? What worked, what didn't, experience with it, riding elevation, style, etc. (things like polemite.productions has listed). Different turbo/superchargers.....NOS....

I like the idea of these resources being easily accessible, without searching all over. That could be accomplished with one sticky linking to all of the other threads. :)

As for the other.....maybe an announcement thread stating that if one needs help, they need to give ALL details on sled and mods in order for others to be able to help them quickly, efficiently, and correctly?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Also......looks like the idea is catching on. :)

This post by Chazmanian:

What a badass thread.....I need to go start one of these in Doo-Land!!

Edit: By the looks of it......the thread as is, is being responded to. So the "open for PM's", and maybe add "Link to thread you have on your sled mods" (if they have one, or used someone else's) might just take care of the different variables.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
my view of the thread is not to suggest to other people what is the best set up for each sled, but instead to have people list what they are already running and how they have it set up. that way people can review whats going on out there, and make up their own minds without starting a brand war.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I like that......and I did edit my post above yours to add something else. This may just be the simplest way to do this.......easy for peeps to fill in info, and if further info is wanted, it can be asked for through PM or following link (if one added, to their thread or someone else's).

Another thing......might want to add in........if there have been any problems with any of the mods/set ups done.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I am sure glad you guys are keeping all this in one thread. I would hate to clutter up the rest of the forum with this.

But IMO people should use their signature line to list the mods, etc that they have. Alot of times that is where I look to see if someone has similar junk as I do.

As far as combining these threads. I don't think so. If someone has a question they should ask it. Granted they should have exhausted the search function. But for the most part when someone asks a basic question a lot of great discussion comes from each thread. Some might head down the wrong path but for the most part we can learn from them all.

I don't really care to look at a standard owners manual explanation of what the heck is going on. Give me a couple comments from some backcountry hillbilly rednecks that I can talk to and I'm good.

Thunder

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Thunder.......thanks for your comments. :)

I feel sig lines are a personal thing for some. Myself, I choose to use mine to help educate/advocate avalanche safety. Others may use theirs for Land Use/belonging to clubs info, etc.

I think this would be far from a standard owners manual. It would be compilation of many different things. I don't think anyone wants to discourage someone from asking questions....just trying to help organize some stuff a bit more. I agree there is some great discussion that comes from questions being asked. :beer;

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
the search function sucks, I don't know how to help it either every time I search I get one, maybe two topics on the first page that might be helpful and the rest is junk. Part of it being people ask the same question 10,000 different ways but it does suck. One thing I have done when someone asks a vague question I PM them on how to restate there thread to get more attention (more to the point with right info).

I think if it where mandatory to state your sled and mods as above it not only helps everyone but also changes the thinking and many useless posts.

I don't even know how to put that stuff in my sig, haven't worried about it.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
the only problem with having all of these details listed in the sig is that each person must be posting in order for their sig to show up anywhere. i know that in my case, i might go 2 weeks without posting anything, even though i'm on the forums on a daily basis. after about 24 hours, most posts get burried and sigs are no longer visible. the info is essentially lost until the user posts again.

catwoman, i think that adding links to other threads regarding the mods a person lists is a great idea. i'll add that to the thread.

thunder, discussion between the members is great, even on simple subjects, but how many times have we all read the same old topic like "what clutching should i do at ___ elevation with ____ pipe", for example? a really good question, but it gets asked at least a few times per week. why not give these posters a resource that they can just go to immediately, and give some of the other threads a little more time on the first page so that they might have a chance to be read and responded to?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It would be nice if we could bookmark threads (make it so we can access them on site) so we could pull them up to help others, or bring it to the top. I have a few (not as many as I would like) in my browser but then I have to it, open the page copy it and then post it.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
It would be nice if we could bookmark threads (make it so we can access them on site) so we could pull them up to help others, or bring it to the top. I have a few (not as many as I would like) in my browser but then I have to it, open the page copy it and then post it.

That's what I do.

Thunder

Premium Features