• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

quick question about a F7 motor - coolant system

P
Jun 7, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Hey guys, fairly new here. I'm helping a buddy with his F7, he is a heavy user of this site so maybe he will chime in.

Anyways, he bought a sled that is a 2004 440 SnoPro chassis with a 2003 F7 motor in it. He bought the sled in pieces so we had to put it together.

We had a few issues going together but we think we got most of it figured out, our main problem was getting it to take coolant. It seemed as though it wouldn't take any, we would dump a few ounces in and it would take a minute or so for it to take it.

This got me thinking there must be a air relief screw somewhere near the top of the system, which then had me rethinking where I routed a hose.

So basically, where does the 1/4" hose that comes out of the top of the head (right above where the coolant hose hooks in) run to??? right now we have it running back down to the pump. If this is correct, anyone have any suggestions on filling the coolant system??

post-2021-1254077642.jpg

The smaller fitting feeds the coolant recovery bottle, it runs back to the recovery bottle and it is designed to release any air that may build up in the system. Those sleds were notorious for trapping air bubbles in the rear heat exchanger. Arctic Cat had a bulletin back in 03' that had us tip the sled back and forth trying to get the air bubbles out, then let it run at an incline with the motor up in the air or on a hill, with the coolant bottle cap cracked open, so the trapped air could come out. Also make sure the lower coolant hose that goes from the heat exchanger back to the motor isn't hitting the belly pan or bulk head. They had us cut an inch or so out of the hose and re attach it. Some of them rubbed a whole and caused engine damage. Good luck...

Premium Features