• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing steerinf post 09 hcr!!

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
I was wondering what removing the steering post entails? How do you get to the bolt on the bottom, and are there rivets that have to be drilled out and replaced? I want to get mine beefed up, and taking the post will be alot easiar than the whole sled. thanks. tim

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Only one nut under the tunnel and you can get at it with a long exstension. No rivets to remove. Getting it out from by the gas tank is more work. Two ways to do it. Remove the bolts holding the steering support or remove the console and pull the gas tank back

Last edited:
A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
thanks

Can you get to the bottom nut by turning sled on its side? I plan to carry an extra post this winter, so seeing how easy this is. I'll be damned if a good day of riding is going to be ruined. I put the bdx support in tonight, and it did take the slop out alot, but maybe the slop is there for a reason. I may cut the top part of, and get a piece of chro moly to fit over it, and weld her back up.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Yeah...easy to get at! If you tip your sled on it side you will see it.

I have two BDX supports, one for each of my sleds but I haven't installed them yet...hope it's worth it?

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2009
i just put a chromoly post in and sold my adjustable one. i have no slop at all. i also put in one of those bdx bushings when i installed the new post. theres two bolts on each side of the big aluminum brace that runs to each side of the bulk head, well i loosened off the bottom bolts and took out the top ones, and then took off the two bolts that hold the support in and pushed it forward. and once u take off the bolt on the bottom of the post u can try and squeeze it out of there. careful when u take the top bolt out on the exhaust side support tho, theres a ground that goes one the nut side of that bolt and its hard to see it when u pull it out. when i took out the adjustable post i noticed that about 80 percent of the slop was from the stock cat bushing and 20 percent was from the post itself, so for the guys putting in the new bdx bushing u should see a decent result, atleast it was the case on my sled.

Premium Features