• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gutted Air box

A
Oct 22, 2008
I'm bored and I wanna go in the garage and gut the airbox. I've read a few posts, but can someone real quick just sum up the process in one post?. Also will I have to mess with the Carb settings now because(I'm assuming more airflow will be present). I ask this because I once "modded" my airbox to get more air on my Carbed Yamaha Raptor quad and it ran like chit after so I had to put the airbox back to stock again. Oh yeah, 03 900 mountain cat

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
you will probable have to jet up 1 or 2 sizes. When i replaced my air box with k&n filters i think i jetted up 3 sizes.

A
Oct 22, 2008
hey

Alrighty then............so I went out to tinker on the sled and do my airbox only to open it up and discover that its already been done!. Also while checking stuff out I noticed that the sled already has V force reeds in it. They say "V force 3". Are these good reeds?.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
they help with the bottom end....i run boysen in mine, dad had v froce in his

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I would be bummed out now! No extra BHP to look forward to. Just kidding! Next step is too block off the outer internal air vents. They are on the inside behind the secondary clutch and behind the muffler. You don't want the warm dirty air. Now install a cowl induction thru the tach hole! Then I would do twins for the exhaust for max benefit.

Mike

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
When you guys gutted the airbox did you remove the entire plate including horns or just remove the horns. I saw a sensor in there and didn't know if not having the plate would affect anything.

horn.JPG

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I was told not to remove the plate from the dealer, But instead drill some holes in the plate for added flow. They were a series of holes 1/2" and 7/16" I added two more 1/2" on the PTO side as the airbox lid intake is more ctr'd toward the Mag side. They said the horns are to aid in the bottom end response like a velocity stack, Then with the other holes it should increase top end airflow? I also deburred the entrance and exit of the horns as there was too much plastic flash. There must be a reason for these besides intake silencing? But the quality of the design is less than desirable!

Mike

Premium Features