• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Detonation scarrs in pistons and rings on XP

I pulled my motor apart last night to put a top end, new SLP head and pipe on it and was shocked at what I found. I have a stock motor 08 800 XP with aprox 1800 miles. The mag side piston has tons of detonation scarrs in the piston and head, towards the exahuast side of the piston it is so bad that the piston is actual disintegrated almost to the ring. The primary side piston has three detonation warks in the piston and head. I ran premium fuel all winter and have stock jetting, any ideas?

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Post up a few photos.

I would be checking that side carb from top to bottom.

Keith

I ride between 5000-9000 ft. Carbs and jetting are stock, whatever skidoo sent. I was planning on jetting up to 490's and adding needle donuts with the SLP head and SLP exhaust system but for now I am going to take it to the dealer and see if my warranty will cover the damage.
I will post up any discoveries.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Jetting up isn't going to help with detonation.

I don't think. You need to run higher octane fuel to prevent detonation. Now if you are melting the piston then add fuel.

But again what I have found is if you are detonating you need to decrease the running compression or increase the octane.

Thunder

Jetting up isn't going to help with detonation.

I don't think. You need to run higher octane fuel to prevent detonation. Now if you are melting the piston then add fuel.

But again what I have found is if you are detonating you need to decrease the running compression or increase the octane.

Thunder

Back to the first post. Everything was stock on premium fuel. I WAS getting ready to add a NEW SLP head and SLP exhaust system but found all the damage on the piston, I haven't looked at them today but I am leaning towards a cracked carb boot or something because there is no reason i should have had any detonation so there is something weird going on.

X

XP2009

Sep 10, 2009
X2 on artic thunders post. You never trully know what your getting at the pumps or exactly how long the fuel is in there. I have found increasing octane is the best way to prevent det.. ( provided your boots are o.k ).

Good luck.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Just a thought but could it be from Snow ingestion? I my xp air box had alot of snow in it a few times last winter, the stock filter sucks and the valve dealy can let in snow to.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Ooops. didn't read that close enough. If this thing is bone stock then you might have a complaint.

Here is a picture of my M1000 piston, this one was bone stock but running lean due to some ECU problems. You can see the edge of the piston is gone down to the ring and the skirt is scuffed hard.

This looks like a det problem from the top when first looking at it but was clearly lean.

One day of bad gas could cause a lot of damage.

I always felt a splash of 100LL Ave gas was cheep insurance.

Thunder

martinsnowmobile010.jpg

martinsnowmobile009.jpg

martinsnowmobile001.jpg

Update

Well I took it into Treasure Valley Motorsports, the skidoo dealer in Nampa and they thought it was detonation also but after looking at everything they said it was "foriegn debris in the combustion chamber" no one knows what it was or where it came from but they are covering it under warranty. :D

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ya, mine did something very similar to that. But it did it because the end of the ring broke off. I would be willing to bet you ate a ring pin, ring end, reed screw or something like that.

Cool that warranty covered it.

Jake

Dec 1, 2007
Meridian, ID
1,110 miles on this 08 xp and the ring pin walked out of the piston, gorged the cylinder, the pin fell back into the piston. The ring gap then rotated to a port and finished it off. No warnings, went from full power to one jug in a split second. I rode it out about 13 miles and it stayed together. Reminded me of riding an Enticer from years ago.

Dang glad I bought the extended warranty last fall. $50 deductible.....$1100 warranty repair.

Attachments

• 0331091216.jpg
    0331091216.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 0331091216a.jpg
    0331091216a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 0331091217.jpg
    0331091217.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 0331091219.jpg
    0331091219.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 0331091221.jpg
    0331091221.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 84
R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
1,110 miles on this 08 xp and the ring pin walked out of the piston, gorged the cylinder, the pin fell back into the piston. The ring gap then rotated to a port and finished it off. No warnings, went from full power to one jug in a split second. I rode it out about 13 miles and it stayed together. Reminded me of riding an Enticer from years ago.

Dang glad I bought the extended warranty last fall. $50 deductible.....$1100 warranty repair.
I think the same thing happened to my buddies 08 with 922 miles. I never got to see the damage, but what you described is exactly what he said happened to his. He had the Doo dealer rebuild it under warranty, then traded it in on a 2010 xp-x 800/163.

Premium Features