• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat track tension

K

KingD

Feb 28, 2008
I was wondering how you go about tightening the track tension on a king cat 162" track. I have never done it before and would like to know how.

There are 2 bolts back by the rear wheels of your skid frame one on each side. What you have to do is loosen the jam nut on that bolts so that you can adjust the track. Once you have that loose adjust your track to about 2 1/2 of gap at 10lbs of weight in the center of the track as a starting point. Some guys like to run them looser some tighter depends on the rider. Once you have the track adjusted where you want it you must make sure it is aligned also. To do this measure the distance between the slider and the track clip. Make sure the distance is the same from one side to the other. If one side is farther away than the other tighten the side that is farthest away. You will need to have the back of the sled up on a jackstand so you can run the sled and spin the track. After adjusting the side that is farthest away from the slider spin the track and let it coast to a stop. Shut the engine off and check the distance again. Once you get it adjusted and aligned tighten the jam nuts and you should be good to go.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Jeff

K

KingD

Feb 28, 2008
would the track being loose be the cause of the track humming when I am out in the snow?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
There are 2 bolts back by the rear wheels of your skid frame one on each side. What you have to do is loosen the jam nut on that bolts so that you can adjust the track. Once you have that loose adjust your track to about 2 1/2 of gap at 10lbs of weight in the center of the track as a starting point. Some guys like to run them looser some tighter depends on the rider. Once you have the track adjusted where you want it you must make sure it is aligned also. To do this measure the distance between the slider and the track clip. Make sure the distance is the same from one side to the other. If one side is farther away than the other tighten the side that is farthest away. You will need to have the back of the sled up on a jackstand so you can run the sled and spin the track. After adjusting the side that is farthest away from the slider spin the track and let it coast to a stop. Shut the engine off and check the distance again. Once you get it adjusted and aligned tighten the jam nuts and you should be good to go.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Jeff

Jeff is right on here. But man it is a PITA to move the jacking bolts if you don't loosen the axle bolt first. 9/16" bolt through the wheel centers. And don't forget to tighten it back up after you make your adjustments.

Thunder

K

KingD

Feb 28, 2008
what am I looking for when I check the wear on them? Are they difficult to replace? Does anybody have any pics of what the tension and rail end caps look like?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Rail end caps

Here is what the rail end caps should look like. If they are worn you'll be able to tell. Replacement is easy. Are you running drop brackets? If you are you'll want to put on a set of anti-stab wheels and take a little off of the rails while your at it. On the tension, follow Funoutfitters advice.

AntiSTAB.jpg

Last edited:
K

KingD

Feb 28, 2008
ok thanks for the info and pic. Could the bearing also be going?

K

KingD

Feb 28, 2008
They havent been worked on that I believe. The sled is all stock. I have owned it for 4 years and it hasnt been worked on. The sled only has about 1200 miles on it.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I think tight track tension causes the hum.

Don't you guys? I too run the track as loose as possible just tight enough so it doesn't ratchet.

On another note; I think the angle that the lug meets the snow pack is changed by track tention. The looser the track the better it will climb up onto the snow. The tighter the track, the more it will trench by causing a more vertical the lug will hit the snow.

Am I right?

Owen

J
May 25, 2008
puyallup WA
ur angle of attack to the snow wont get any better than when the track is against ur rails. ie, if u have a 15 degree angle when the track is against the rails, a looser track is goin to make the angle steeper if centrifical force pulls the trak away from the rails. most of the tension in a loose track is taken up in where the track isnt in contact with the snow tho so probably not a big issue. go to a hill and loosen the track til it ratchets, then tighten it up. ride it til it ratchets again and tighten.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
They havent been worked on that I believe. The sled is all stock. I have owned it for 4 years and it hasnt been worked on. The sled only has about 1200 miles on it.

If you haven't been greasing your jackshaft and driveshaft bearings behind the driven clutch, You better start NOW...

bowerman61028

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Bend, OR
Grease Points

Where are you greasing these points at? Is it just a universal greas fitting or do I need to remove anything? A pic would be super helpful.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Sounds like your track might be a little tight if it's humming. Do you notice this on hard pack or in deep snow? These suspensions tighten the track as it collapses.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
if you put new slides on it and don't bevel cut the rear of the slide to a 30 deg as the track clips pass you will get the hummm or if the slides are toast the inner part of the track will hit the first cross offthe skid after the turn past the drivers and do the same.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Take off our driven (back) clutch and you will see a grease zurk on the top of teh jack shaft bearing. Then witht he clutch off look down to the bottom of the bell pan. You will see where the speedometer cable hooks up. there is a grease zurk there that should be done A LOT ! That bearing is always the first to go. I have replaced 2 in 1100 miles. both were blown apart. Make sure you change you chain case oil every year also. I am running ATF in my chain cases. Lots fo guys do and lots of others run 80-90w gear oil. its just a personal preference thing.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
ATF didnt know people ran atf in them, have always went with 80-90, whats the advantage of atf vs 80-90, thought you wanted thicker stuff, could be wrong, i realize when its cold out if gunna be thicker until you get stuff moving in there, have any of you ever went to grease not the jackshaft guess you would call it the driveshaft and broke the zerk off, did that tonite, whats the best fix, or would i have to replace that whole plate, and to get that bearing off do i have to remove the whole shaft?

B
Jul 28, 2008
I'm in the process of tightening my track now as well on the king.

Seems like the general concensus is 2" of sag with roughly a 10 pound weight hanging off the track.

Also, I have some 75-90 oil. Will that work okay, or should I get the 80-90?

Premium Features