• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket pipes

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
nope but remeber each aftermarket exhaust utilizes different clutching/jetting configurations....had a speedwerx single i hated for the life of me...switched to an SLP single that was 10x better than the speedwerx with an RKT head.......then went to SLP twins which i wouldnt trade for anything.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have a 04 carb king (carb is the only way the king was built in 04). I ran a set of SLP twins, They ran great when you had it jetted right. They were a tuning nightmare. I burned down twice in about 8 weeks. Finally sold them. Bought a SLP single. It SUCKED! I thought I was having clutching issues. To the point I blew 300 on a new drive clutch. after a year I decided that maybe it was the pipe. Pulled the pipe put the stock pipe back on and the sled ran like mad! From what i can tell from reading on here, if you are going to buy pipes spend the money and buy jaws twins.
I have also heard the the king runs great with a stock 1m 800 carb pipe. I happen to have one of those that has been laying around my garage for years. I am going to try it this year. Now, I have been told the 800 pipe on a 900 is only good above about 7000 feet. I will be able to tell you hopefully in 4-6 weeks.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My dad and I run Black Magic singles on all our twins, even the big bores. However, since BM is out of business, that may be a harder thing to find.

We ran them on the 800s, and the 800 with the pipe would run with a stock 900.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
I have ran CPI twins, PSI twins, Speedwerx single with and without their Y pipe, and SLP singles. The trick is in the tuning. Have never burned a 900 down. What worked best is the speedwerx with their Y pipe. Both twin sets worked good to but you just got to be tighter on the clutching and jetting and spin harder. The singles make good power with the clutching and jetting just close. I have even run 800 psi twins on a 900, get it tuned right and they will work ok. All carb 900's

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
We ran two 03 900's with slp twin pipes, thousands of miles and maybe changed jetting 5 times between the two sleds, best pipes you can put on that motor, never burnt either down...I also ran a speedwerx single and Y and to be honest it is not much better than stock so unless you get it cheap its not worth it IMO.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
first tried the speed wrex single and had no luck, stock went way better. Got out money back and put on a SP single and was quite happy. Twins will make more power but are alot harder to tune. Jaws are about the best twins for the 900 but the dont fix very well and you have to do some mods to get them in there.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If the stock pipe works well, Then has anyone tried the Bikeman mod stocker? I think they remove a baffle and cut out a section?

Mike

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
We ran two 03 900's with slp twin pipes, thousands of miles and maybe changed jetting 5 times between the two sleds, best pipes you can put on that motor, never burnt either down...I also ran a speedwerx single and Y and to be honest it is not much better than stock so unless you get it cheap its not worth it IMO.

What elevation are you running?

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
We run mostly 6,000-8,000 but sometimes get to about 10,000, I have a set of twins with a bottom dump can and i had another can that i made into a front dump only so you can use the 06 front dump deflector and it works great. On the other sled my brother ran the can with the extra bottom dump transfer tube thing and that worked very nice also, both sleds were running pod filters. I may sell the pipes if someone is interested as i totalled one of the sleds and the other is getting a turbo, MattyMacs old one.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Yes please. Is this the same as piston wash jetting?

I do not think so but maybe?

You have to pull your pipes. It is time consuming but if you want it spot on it's the best/easiest way IMO. It's how I jet my race bikes. I'll do my best to explain and try to dig up the article later.

You'll want to do this during your normal riding temp & elevation.

Basically wet line jetting is jetting by your exhaust. What you'll be looking at is the wet line left from your fuel inside of your pipe and how throughly of a burn your getting. What you want is a half moon shape, the half moon shape will be wet.

No half moon shape and grey/carbon is lean.

Completely wet out of sight is rich.

Ideal is a moon shape maybe 2 inchs deep into your pipe.

Does that make sense?

Before you do this you need to;

Pull you air box/pods.

Then make control marks on your throttle for each fuel control, pilot jet/slide cut away 1/8th throttle, needle 1/2 throttle and main jet WFO. Look at your throttle slides and make a mark on your throttle cable off of your thumb throttle at each location.

Then get the machine to operating temp.

Run it at each throttle location lets say for 2 min, you can pull your belt or find a long straight or open field. Stick to the throttle position you are testing, no blips!

After you run it pull the pipe and look down it, then adjust if needed.

Do it again for the remaining controls.

Again what you are looking for is a nice wet black half moon shape, small or no moon is lean and completely wet all the way around rich.

Get the your riding spot early and do this while you wait for you buddies.

If you let the pipes cool too much you will not see the wet line, have good gloves that wont melt.

Last edited:
Premium Features