• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to do??

P
Nov 22, 2008
BC
Just looking for some professional advice here...ok, i currently ha a stock 03 900 1M. I like the sled, but its kinda getting old school compared to the new ones coming out. So, should i keep the 1M and do some mods, get an M8, or get a M1000? (im 6'4'' 220lbs, mostly mountain riding) Finances limit me to about an 07-08 for getting an M-series. If keeping the old sled, then whats the best things i can do (within reason) to make it keep up with the newer ones?
Appreciate the input

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
What to do?

Just look at the thread "Best Mods for a 1M"
Put a bigbore on it, 162x2.5x16 Camo Extreme, light weight seat, forward mount steering post and never look back!
Even if you skip the big bore and run twin pipes, reeds, a little compression that thing will still rock!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If you like the sled and its in good condition and reliable id keep it. I just bouth a 09 m1000 and in stock form it didnt climb as good as my 04 900.

The 3 main things you need are sled junky drop brackets to keep the wheelies down.
Forward mount steering post. It will improve the handling enought that its not much different then an m series. And a new track, id go with a power claw. I also ran a 16 wide maverick track and really liked for the flotation and tree riding.

Other good mods

Powder pro skis. I think simons are for the trail and the pros are for riding

Boss Seat.

Single pipe. Id stick with a single pipe for easy of instillation and tunning. I ran both slp and speed wrex and liked the SLP

V-Force reeds will impove throttle response.

I ran K&N filters right of the carbs, it sucks hot air but never bogs and i had to jet up so it should be making more hp

One of the bigest gains i made for climbing ability Was a vanamburge tunnel. Did a drop and roll and add an extra inch of clearance on top of the tunnel and it mad a huge difference. I our group we always had one KK that was always a storng runner and with less mods it would easly still get the high mark. After i add the tunnel that kK wasnt even close to me In powder.

The last year i ran boondocker nitros and it was fun and worked well. But it sucks having to fill the bottle all the time.

My 900 was a great sled and a ton of fun, one of the best sleds ive ever owned.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The 09 m1000 is one of the best sleds out there a 1m won't touch it stock to stock or both piped, but I would not buy a 07-08 m1000. Maybe wait a year and go 09. you would benefit from a m1000 rather than a m8 and the 09 m is far better than any year before.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I just had to answer the same question and landed on keeping my old girl. It is only my opinion but if you can't get to an 09 you may as well keep what you have.

As far as mods, the list is almost endless and very well covered in the 1M mods thread.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Wasnt saying they were equal stock for stock. Just saying that my modded 900 pulled better then my stock 09 m1000. The main reason i up grade was my 900 was wore out and stating to break down alot. Also the 1000 has huge potential for mods. But for half the price of upgrading your sled you could do alot of mods for your 900.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if you want i got a tison tunnel I'm looking to sell, same design as the van amburg hillclimb but ill sell you mine for a fraction of a new one

Premium Features