• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m8 oil leak?

B
Jan 20, 2009
Noticed a nice little puddle of oil under my 09 m8 today, if it was an old chev I wouldn't be conserned but since its my baby and a 2 stroke i'm a little confused. It seems to be leaking onto the bellypan and coming out at the back of the bellypan. I took everything apart and the oil want seems ok. Only thing I can think of is maybe a chracked oil line or a loose fitting somewhere? I just got the sled from storage if it makes any Diffrence.\

Also should I take it in since its under warrenty or do you think I'll end up suck with a bill? Thanks again!!!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Call your dealer and ask if they will diagnose for you. Remember, they have to pay somebody to look for the problem, and then if there is no problem they get nothing other than the warm fuzzies.:)

I would get underneath the sled and pull the bellypan off. T20 torx screw. It only takes about 5 minutes.

Get a good flash light and look at the side of the oil bottle (I see a lot of nuts pull out of the side of the bottle and then leak).

Check the oil pump. It is on the bottom front side of motor. Check for loose fitting bolts where the hoses go in and out.

Check the oil tank line where it goes to the pump and make sure that it is not compromised. (Gots a hole in it)

Lastly, I have seen a few after storage where the unburnt fuel leaks out of the exhaust grafoil between the y pipe and the pipe, runs down the heat shield, onto the belly pan, and then out on the floor. This will be BLACK oil and will be very heavy as opposed to unburned oil.

Hope this helps.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Ya it helps a ton thanks! I did notice some un burnt fuel in the y-pipe but the stuff thats on the floor is blue. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks again

Arctic Cat had a service bulletin on the 2009 F series for loose union bolts of the bottom of the oil pump. I know this is a M series sled but that would be something I would look at.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Jeff
Gold Certified Catmaster
Free Technical Advice at
funoutfitters.com

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Just wondering but when i stored mine last summer i used some fogging oil and just sprayed it into the cylinders and pulled it over a bunch of times, anyways when i started it it took quite a while of running to burn it off and it was running back down the pipe onto the shield and finally exiting through the belly pan. I think that it just couldn't get out through the pipe without taking it for a good run, it is mostly gone now but i think i am going to have to go for a ride to get it all out. Not to sure if this may be your problem but i had a good puddle under mine and it may be something to look at if you added oil or fogging oil to your cylinders for storage then have recently ran your machine.

B
Jan 20, 2009
I never fogged mine... But I did pull it over a few times before I turned it on to make sure it was getting oil and such.
Ok I got the whole &^*# thing apart right now lol ( airbox out, belly pan off, nose peice off hood off pipe off) Aside from a little grease and a tiny bit of oil here and there everything seems ok. But I did notice a fair amount of oil in the air box? The plastic peice right before the throttle bodies????

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Just a thought but maybe your pump was sticking for a bit when you started it that could explain the excess oil, i don't know why oil always builds up in those air boxes but it always does on a machine that has them i have the timbersled intake now so problem solved, its probably a good idea to clean them yearly.

Last edited:
B
Jan 20, 2009
Arctic Cat had a service bulletin on the 2009 F series for loose union bolts of the bottom of the oil pump. I know this is a M series sled but that would be something I would look at.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Jeff
Gold Certified Catmaster
Free Technical Advice at
funoutfitters.com

I just had the oil pump replaced because it was sticking...

Premium Features